EQ settings for IPod/E5 users ?
May 20, 2004 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

penbat

500+ Head-Fier
Do any of you use an Ipod EQ setting, presumably to improve the treble for the E5 ?

If so what EQ do you use ?

May 20, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 7
I've tried treble boost but it makes the treble harsh and overpowering for me - just too much of it rather than the small boost that I sometimes look for with certain music. So far, none of the other EQ settings sound good to me but then again, the iPod EQ isn't that good to begin with. E5 also reveal distortion easily too (the ER4 reveal distortion even more easily for anyone who is thinking about this combo). I find the vocals to be a bit recessed with the E5 as well, so if anyone has any ideas about this on iPod, I'm interested too.

Hopefully someone will show me something new in this post too so I'm open to revisiting EQ. Sorry this doesn't help you much penbat.

May 20, 2004 at 6:06 PM Post #3 of 7
From time-to-time I will set my iPod's EQ to either Latin, Rock or Jazz with my E5's. For 99% of my listening, I usually leave the EQ off.

May 20, 2004 at 6:47 PM Post #4 of 7
In my Creative Zen I use about +4 dB at 4 kHz and +6 dB at 12 kHz which works nicely for me. Does the Ipod not allow you to use a custom setting..? (That was not a troll, I really don't know what the Ipod can do...)

May 20, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic
In my Creative Zen I use about +4 dB at 4 kHz and +6 dB at 12 kHz which works nicely for me. Does the Ipod not allow you to use a custom setting..? (That was not a troll, I really don't know what the Ipod can do...)

No custom EQ on the iPod
frown.gif

May 20, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyH
No custom EQ on the iPod
frown.gif

Ah, well then that explains a lot of the complaints I see here regarding the ER-4 and the E5... neither is all that listenable (IMO) without some 'help', and I don't mean useless 'Rock', 'Latin', etc. presets. EQ may not be the purist solution but if you can't justify a grand for custom canalphones it goes a long way towards solving the vices of the off-the-shelf units.

May 20, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 7
the sony d-ne300 cd & mp3/atrac walkman has a great low distortion parametric eq that is customizable (us$60). it works great with my er6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back