EQ Settings for Different Cans
Dec 17, 2006 at 6:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

xenithon

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all. I have learned to really enjoy and appreciate the subtle differences that some EQing can do to the music. This became most apparent when I started using the Electri-Q plugin in foobar with my ATH-W5000s just just add a touch more bass depth and presence.

Here is a screenshot of what I currently use for the W5000s. I'm quite interested in seeing what others use, either for the W5000s or for any other headphones. Granted, not everyone uses EQs (and some argue it "taints" the sonics) but if you do, feel free to post it up.

3yew0zq.jpg

Cheers,
X

Dec 17, 2006 at 6:49 AM Post #2 of 24
Not using Foobar since I'm on a Mac. But, based on a suggestion from a fellow Head-Fier, I'm using Audio Hijack Pro, which has greatly enhanced my listening experience. I'm awaiting the arrival of my sr225's, but for now I'm using this EQ setting out to a Corda Porta DAC/amp and then KSC75's:

324588187_081e91487a.jpg

Dec 17, 2006 at 10:21 AM Post #3 of 24
Huge improvement compared to stock with the SA5000 to me:
Equalizer.png

I'm considering raising that depression around 5k some more though.

It's a shame the stock SA5000 is ruined so much by that huge mountain at 2.5kHz. That's undoubtedly where all the claims about being shrill/dry/thin/painful/bathroom-sounding come from. If I take the EQ off it's so obvious how wrong it is. Good thing EQs exist.

Dec 17, 2006 at 10:37 AM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all. I have learned to really enjoy and appreciate the subtle differences that some EQing can do to the music. This became most apparent when I started using the Electri-Q plugin in foobar with my ATH-W5000s just just add a touch more bass depth and presence.

Here is a screenshot of what I currently use for the W5000s. I'm quite interested in seeing what others use, either for the W5000s or for any other headphones. Granted, not everyone uses EQs (and some argue it "taints" the sonics) but if you do, feel free to post it up.

3yew0zq.jpg

Cheers,
X

Im using similar pattern in my soundcards EQ when using SR225. Fixes the bass extension limit nicely and makes the upperbass/lower mids smoother.

Dec 17, 2006 at 10:39 AM Post #5 of 24
Interesting Zenja, how did you choose your EQ curve? My eq for the SA5k actually looks very similar to yours - in particular the slight boost around 250 Hz and cut around 2500 Hz. I just did mine by ear.

Dec 17, 2006 at 10:40 AM Post #6 of 24
Wow, I see some pretty complex curves there! I use the EQ very sparingly, just to tip the balance one way or another...rather than try and paint a totally different sonic picture.

To each his own....perhaps the experimentation bug will get the better of me
tongue.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 10:52 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by splaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Why is it even on if it's flat... ?
confused.gif

I'm seriously asking
biggrin.gif

Why not? It makes no difference anyway...
tongue.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 10:53 AM Post #10 of 24
I would never be able to do this myself cause I'm obsessive compulsive. No matter how much I fiddle with it I'll probably manage to convince myself that something still doesn't sound right
biggrin.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 10:57 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting Zenja, how did you choose your EQ curve? My eq for the SA5k actually looks very similar to yours - in particular the slight boost around 250 Hz and cut around 2500 Hz. I just did mine by ear.

I started with this frequency response graph
sa5krvl050507.jpg

posted in this thread http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=116835

I tried to match the stuff below about 7kHz exactly to the frequency response graph. The corrections required to bring the upper end to flat according to the graph seemed extreme though (I tried it, and I could easily hear a big peak at around 9kHz which needed a big boost according to the graph), so for the upper half, I greatly reduced the amount of equalization used but kept the points at the same frequencies. Basically, I tried to keep the EQ curve fairly neutral in that part and just alter the peaks/valleys to a smaller arbitrary amount. It's interesting to see everyone call the SA5000 really bright, but according to that graph, the highs (9kHz+) are the ones that need the most boosting.

That's good to know that you got similar results going by ear. I wasn't sure how much the graph posted was to be trusted and I couldn't find any other graphs for the SA5000.

Dec 17, 2006 at 11:32 AM Post #12 of 24
I suppose I should ask a question that I've been meaning to ask for a long time here rather than start a new thread. When you guys listen to a tone sweep, do you hear anywhere near a linear response? Equalized or unequalized, I hear enormous peaks and valleys in many places and I think that my ears are screwed up. I know that you're not really supposed to hear a flat response and I understand the HRTF but even taking that into account my hearing seems way off. Most notable are huge peaks centered around 3.5kHz and 7.0kHz and I can hear almost nothing in a narrow range around 5.3kHz.

At first I thought those big peaks at 3500 and 7000 were due to my MS-1 headphones, but I hear the same thing with the SA5000. I once tried to equalize the MS-1 to the point where I hear a flat tone sweep with my ears (again, I believe this is incorrect to aim for), but music sounded quite strange like that.

Dec 17, 2006 at 11:53 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose I should ask a question that I've been meaning to ask for a long time here rather than start a new thread. When you guys listen to a tone sweep, do you hear anywhere near a linear response? Equalized or unequalized, I hear enormous peaks and valleys in many places and I think that my ears are screwed up. I know that you're not really supposed to hear a flat response and I understand the HRTF but even taking that into account my hearing seems way off. Most notable are huge peaks centered around 3.5kHz and 7.0kHz and I can hear almost nothing in a narrow range around 5.3kHz.

At first I thought those big peaks at 3500 and 7000 were due to my MS-1 headphones, but I hear the same thing with the SA5000. I once tried to equalize the MS-1 to the point where I hear a flat tone sweep with my ears (again, I believe this is incorrect to aim for), but music sounded quite strange like that.

Human ear does pick certain frequencies as disturbingly high. Almost feeling painfull in TEETH! What these frequencies are, depends on person, but no ear is "flat" AFAIK. There are spikes and holes.

Dec 17, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #14 of 24
I used to use the creative bass boost at between 20 and 50 Hz with various degrees of power for the AMT. I gradually worked down to "off". Which is where it remains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back