EQ question(S)
Oct 28, 2005 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

ah_long

100+ Head-Fier
how exactly do you set the EQ, how does each slider operate and what exactly are their controls...

i'm sorry if this has been posted before or if i'm posting it @ the wrong section, but I hope to understand it more

Oct 28, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 22
itunes, winamp etc...

there are presets but u could also adjust them urself

Oct 28, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #5 of 22
with winamp i used to use DFX. But since I discovered Foobar and kernal streaming, I never went back to winamp. Also, if you have high quality headphones, you may appreciate the un-EQd sound to be more natural and pleasing. Some phones like my UM2 improves a lot with EQ, while the RS1 shines without an EQ.

Anyway, back in the days when I used to use EQ, on Winamp anyway, i used to like the laptop speaker preset. You can modify it slightly for your taste.

Oct 28, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #6 of 22
ya, i kno how to use the presets

but how do i manually adjust the sliders...

Oct 28, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #7 of 22
Well, you can slide them up, and you can slide them down. Try sliding them both ways, and see which you like. Sliding them sideways is tough.

Oct 28, 2005 at 6:16 AM Post #8 of 22
umm..it seems tht my questions are not clearly stated

I know that the sliders could be slided up and down...
I know they will affect the sound

but which slider will affect what kinda of sound (highs vs lows) more treble or more bass etc...

Oct 28, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #9 of 22
Don't they have little numbers underneath each slider?

Like 60, 250, 1000, 2500, 5000, 10,000, etc.?

Well, those numbers denote the cycles per second range that each slider controls, the lower numbers are "bass," the middle ones are "midrange" and the big numbers are "treble."

Best thing is to play around with them and see how they affect the sound.

You can also download the NCH tone generator to get an idea of where each frequency number lies in the sound spectrum.

Oct 28, 2005 at 6:23 AM Post #10 of 22
Usually, equalizers are arranged so they start at the bottom end of the frequency range on the left. In a program like foobar, each slider is labeled. Thus, the ones on the left will increase or decrease the bass frequencies, the middle will control the midrange frequencies, and the right will control the treble frequencies. The other possibility is that itunes/winamp have this reversed (I don't really know since I don't use those programs), but it will be either left-to-right or right-to-left. Human hearing goes from something like 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz. One octave is a doubling of frequency. So in foobar, the first slider on the right is at 20,000 Hz (the upper limit), the next one to the left is at 15,000 Hz, the next one after that at 10,000 Hz, and so on. Every two sliders represents a one octave distance. Other equalizers may divide up the frequency range differently.

I suggest reading more about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equalization

Oct 28, 2005 at 7:04 AM Post #11 of 22
thus pushing up the slider in each/any of the frequency range would boost the volume of that particular frequency?

Oct 28, 2005 at 7:20 AM Post #12 of 22
Yup.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #14 of 22
Umm, someone already said it before.. Low value = Bass, high value = trebble, everything in between = mid-range.

Just try it. Slide the low frequency to the max, hear the difference. Then try the same thing with the high frequency.
Then play around until you are happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back