EQ or mods
Jan 15, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #16 of 26
I EQ because I’m poor. I can’t afford the high cost of passively tuned headphones or colored Amps/DACs. So I buy cans with similar technical abilities and EQ the heck out of them to see if I can replicate the reviews and description people were hyping about. My sound journey is to go as far as I can on limited bucks.

So far I am using both software EQ (WiiM) plus analog EQ (Schiit Lokius) to tune my 300 bucks MoonDrop PARA. I even stacked my Magni Unity to my Jot 2. And wow…my head-fi terminology is limited but I think I hit the sweet spot. Now I’m just waiting for the 2k usd Tungsten + mjolnir 3 to compare it to my EQed PARA. Gotta double check to see if what I hear now is on par with higher end sounds.

Jan 16, 2024 at 5:23 AM Post #17 of 26
I don't think EQ is just for the poor:relaxed:though I include myself there.

Jan 16, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #18 of 26
I EQ because I’m poor.
EQ is definitely not for the poor! :beyersmile: It requires a lot of patience, knowledge of how different frequencies affect the overall perceived sound, and knowing about computers (for software-based EQ). EQ is for the smart and sophisticated gentlemen and ladies. :L3000:

Jan 26, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #19 of 26
Now that RME have their desktop software for the ADI 2 DAC, it makes adjustment that much easier for me.

Screenshot 2024-01-26 105235.png

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #20 of 26
Now that RME have their desktop software for the ADI 2 DAC, it makes adjustment that much easier for me.
The remote software is such a quality of life improvement for the ADI-2 DAC, took it to a whole other level, although the knob control is a bit fiddly in the software IMO.

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #21 of 26
The remote software is such a quality of life improvement for the ADI-2 DAC, took it to a whole other level IMO.
Absolutely agree! Couldn’t imagine giving it up after this.

Jan 26, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #22 of 26
The remote software is such a quality of life improvement for the ADI-2 DAC, took it to a whole other level, although the knob control is a bit fiddly in the software IMO.
I hover my cursor over the wheel, and use the mouse wheel, works pretty darn good IMO. Have you tried that?

Jan 26, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #23 of 26
I like to fiddle with EQ and pad rolling, but not much more than that. Only exception is my HE6se v2, which required quite a bit of modding to get comfortable and well tuned.

The only problem with EQ is that it's never done. There's always another approach to try, another idea to play with, and so on. The other thing is that only some headphones take well to EQ, while others hit their distortion threshold pretty quickly.

Jan 26, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #24 of 26
I like to fiddle with EQ and pad rolling, but not much more than that. Only exception is my HE6se v2, which required quite a bit of modding to get comfortable and well tuned.

The only problem with EQ is that it's never done. There's always another approach to try, another idea to play with, and so on. The other thing is that only some headphones take well to EQ, while others hit their distortion threshold pretty quickly.
I agree, but I've found the "good enough" settings for the majority of my cans, and when I put them on, pick my EQ preset, I just enjoy my music. But for a while I was tinkering non stop, and it did get to the point where I just stopped using EQ.

I generally get headphones I like without EQ, and now its just some minor adjustments and they are pretty solid for me from there.

Jan 26, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #25 of 26
I agree, but I've found the "good enough" settings for the majority of my cans, and when I put them on, pick my EQ preset, I just enjoy my music. But for a while I was tinkering non stop, and it did get to the point where I just stopped using EQ.

I generally get headphones I like without EQ, and now its just some minor adjustments and they are pretty solid for me from there.
"Tinkering" is the only reason I'm in this hobby. If not for the appeal of constantly tweaking, tuning, adjusting, measuring, etc., I'd probably just be listening to a pair of Beats, using bluetooth to stream Spotify from my phone, and never think about the quality of my gear again.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #26 of 26
I hover my cursor over the wheel, and use the mouse wheel, works pretty darn good IMO. Have you tried that?
Yeah you're right that's what works best, perhaps that's how they intended it to be used too. I'd just prefer to be able to write the desired value into the field below the "wheel" or something, but I'm aware that this is splitting hairs :darthsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back