EQ on HM-801
Dec 19, 2010 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Galatian

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I've been playing around with the EQ on the HM-801 and I find, that I like the sounds out of my JH Audio 16 Pro much better when I set the EQ up in a V-shape (more base and treble). Maybe it's because I grew accustomed to the iPod sound, but quite frankly I feel like the "plain" HM-801 sound is rather weak and lacking substance. Am I the only one experiencing that or am I just a basshead? :wink:

Also I kept wondering: If I set the EQ on Normal it still appears as the EQ is on. You can try this out by simply setting up a custom EQ with all bands on zero and then switch back and forth the two EQ settings. You will realize that the normal EQ setting is much louder then the custom EQ setting. My question is: Is their someway of completely turning of the EQ?

Well hopefully somebody can answer my questions. Take care.

Dec 19, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #2 of 9
Don't know about your first question. I don't use EQ as long as I find the player to be good sounding by itself.

The 2nd question is simpler. When you turn on the custom EQ, regardless of flat line or V shaped, the firmware will reserve a few dB of headroom for the EQ to prevent clipping, thus the overall volume drop as result.

Dec 19, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #5 of 9
Does anyone feel like the sounds becoming slightly better the longer you run your Hifiman? Whenever I let it run for an hour or so and I can actually feel the heat of the unit dissipate on the back of the unit it seems like the bass gets deeper and crispier. Maybe it's just placebo but who knows...

Jun 10, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Does anyone feel like the sounds becoming slightly better the longer you run your Hifiman? Whenever I let it run for an hour or so and I can actually feel the heat of the unit dissipate on the back of the unit it seems like the bass gets deeper and crispier. Maybe it's just placebo but who knows...

Interesting. It's probably like HDTV's where when they warm up the color accuracy increases.

Jun 11, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #7 of 9
The issue of "warming up" an unit has been mentioned in the past by many. Most will agree that it can be felt with a/c powered units, a few (I am one) will agree it can also be heard with battery operated devices. It is a very personal thing and may be placebo or wishful thinking. I personally have heard the improvement you mention.

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
The issue of "warming up" an unit has been mentioned in the past by many. Most will agree that it can be felt with a/c powered units, a few (I am one) will agree it can also be heard with battery operated devices. It is a very personal thing and may be placebo or wishful thinking. I personally have heard the improvement you mention.

OK, I'm not the only one who thinks that HM-801 sounds better after time of playing. Interisting :wink:

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #9 of 9
The EQ function on both HM-801 and the younger siblings seem to be very ineffective. I can barely hear anything different on my HE-300 or RE-262 by fiddling on the EQ values and am pretty sure they are actually ineffective.... On the HM-602, ditto. Maybe there is a difference on HD-800 or HE-6 but for lesser mortals, it is ineffective. That said the sound without any EQ on either machine is just so good that it is a waste of time to even bother fiddling with EQs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back