EQ now working for Spotify
Feb 20, 2012 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

The8thst

Head-Fier
http://www.equalify.me/

I use Spotify (premium @ 320) ALOT for listening to music at work and stumbled on the above site today. The installation took less than a minute and it has made me even happier with Spotify than I was before.

Feb 20, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 10
Interesting choice of bands, not the standard 10-band EQ frequencies. If being picky I had personally chosen 50Hz, 150Hz, 300Hz, at the start (yea it's close) and instead of having 12K 14K and 16kHz I had chosen 9kHz instead of 12 and 14K as 8~10kHz is where abouts most headphones have troublesome peaks not above 10kHz, feels like there's an important gap left out between 6 and 12kHz.

Feb 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #3 of 10
I agree the frequency bands are a little bit odd. It would also be nice to know the slope he has configured for each band too.

All in all it let me bump the low end a notch and tame some sibilance that was driving me crazy, so I'm happy.

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #4 of 10
Nice little addon, thanks.

Question though (a little off topic).  Being new to this, if you are evaluating speakers what should you set something like at?  I think I've been driving myself crazy looking at speakers with "I like these playing this with these settings"  "but I like these......."
blink.gif

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 10
Nice little addon, thanks.

Question though (a little off topic).  Being new to this, if you are evaluating speakers what should you set something like at?  I think I've been driving myself crazy looking at speakers with "I like these playing this with these settings"  "but I like these......." :blink:

I don't consider Spotify a reference source for evaluating headphones or speakers. I try to do my critical listening and evaluations using the best source and amp section that I have access to. Then I use a tiny bit of eq to tailor other sources towards the reference target. EQ is also good for tweaking troublesome room frequencies.

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
I don't consider Spotify a reference source for evaluating headphones or speakers. I try to do my critical listening and evaluations using the best source and amp section that I have access to. Then I use a tiny bit of eq to tailor other sources towards the reference target. EQ is also good for tweaking troublesome room frequencies.

Sorry to confuse the issue.  I wasn't really specifically meaning this EQ or this source.  Just in general.

Feb 25, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #7 of 10
Sorry to confuse the issue.  I wasn't really specifically meaning this EQ or this source.  Just in general.

I wasn't specifically talking about the Spotify EQ either. I would choose a pair of speakers/phones with the best source and least amount of EQ in a well treated room.

The best use of EQ is to cut out resonent frequencies, standing wave frequencies, or annoying frequencies to get your sound back to the reference sound of the speakers and source. Generally speaking boosting bands with an EQ is frowned upon because the EQ colors the sound a lot that way. It is also much more difficult to add in frequencies that aren't really there in the first place (ie boosting low end to make small speakers full out the bass range).

Feb 26, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
and least amount of EQ

So yes, I have been driving myself crazy for nothing.  Well my wife would say it was a short trip. 
wink_face.gif

Well I'm new at this stuff, hopefully just not to old to learn it.  I use to have a nice setup 20+ years ago (almost 30, $#i+ that long
frown.gif
).  The last time I had to actually think about sound cards being used in my PC it was a requirement to get sound off my 2x CD drive it my 486.

Mar 19, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
I agree the frequency bands are a little bit odd. It would also be nice to know the slope he has configured for each band too.
All in all it let me bump the low end a notch and tame some sibilance that was driving me crazy, so I'm happy.

This is a great Find!!! Thank You. Regarding your 320K I just got Premium, and I noticed that "high quality" streaming isn't automatically enabled when you get premium. I was wondering why I didn't notice changes in Premium. Kinda strange, as I was going to cancel. I noticed Spotify is doing gapless now. They seem to be working on a lot of things. Still....at this point I'm liking Rhapsody quite a bit more. (Rhapsody/Tunebite fir DRM_Less). 

Mar 19, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #10 of 10
And Spotify Gapless is "Flawless" this is so Cool!!  I've been waiting so long for someone to stream gapless Nice!!  Still getting a slight skip in the middle of songs. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back