EQ-ing my V6
Jul 20, 2005 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

GanChan

500+ Head-Fier
I have a 10-band equalizer in iTunes. If I wanted to equalize the V6 to improve its mids and tame the sizzly top, what cuts or boosts, along which frequencies, would you recommend? Where are the natural bumps and dips in the V6 sound signature?

Jul 20, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 9
While I no longer own V6s, I remember what worked for me in equalizing the sound. It's roughly the same equalization I use for my UM2 IEMs.

There's a mid-high bump that should be dealt with. Scroll down my blog at http://um2.blogspot.com/ and you can drag the EQ graphic onto your desktop. it's a pretty good starting point (assuming your ear is like mine!), though I'd shave a tiny bit more off the top end.

Jul 20, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by GanChan
I have a 10-band equalizer in iTunes. If I wanted to equalize the V6 to improve its mids and tame the sizzly top, what cuts or boosts, along which frequencies, would you recommend? Where are the natural bumps and dips in the V6 sound signature?

A 10 band graphic equalizer can not correct the problems. You need 3 bands of precision parametric equalization to correct the main 3 anomolies. A graphic equalizer, due to it's imprecise nature, can only be used to additionally color the sound in order to help mask the problems.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...6352#post46352

-Chris

Jul 20, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by WmAx
A 10 band graphic equalizer can not correct the problems. You need 3 bands of precision parametric equalization to correct the main 3 anomolies. A graphic equalizer, due to it's imprecise nature, can only be used to additionally color the sound in order to help mask the problems.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...6352#post46352

-Chris

I did manage to tidy up the sound somewhat with the graphic EQ. I will look into a parametric EQ app, just to see what's out there. If it turns out to be a big project, I can always just switch to different headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #5 of 9
IMHO the biggest flaw with the V6 is its broad resonance centered at ~3500Hz. EQ'ing helps to tame the amplitude, but will not cure the resonance.

IMHO that resonance is a byproduct of earcup geometry, and sound reflections in the enclosure.

I dial in a ~4 db cut at 3500 Hz and it does help a little.

Garrett

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
EQ'ing helps to tame the amplitude, but will not cure the resonance.

IMHO that resonance is a byproduct of earcup geometry, and sound reflections in the enclosure.

Non-delayed resonances are corrected by modification of frequency response. So far as reflections in the enclosure: I could not measure any substantial resonances as a product of the rear enclosure in a seperate analysis that I performed sometime back. No difference was found with an empty rear enclosure vs. one filled with semi-dense acoustic absorbing fibers. As for a 3500 Hz resonance as a product of modal resonance of two parralel surfaces, this would require a 1.95"[1/2 wavelength of 3500 Hz in air] parralel of significant surface area. The only dimension that fits this approx. specification is that of the vertical area of the earpad. Note that most headphones have earpads. Unless they are made from an acoustically absorbative[with a high coefficient at the modal frequency of interest] material such as loose weave cloth covering with open cell foam support/core, or alternatively designed to avoid parralel surfaces by some unusual angle of construction, then such minor resonance(s) related to the earpad is unavoidable. If you find such to be a problem, I recommend a notch filter.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Chris

Jul 20, 2005 at 9:59 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Non-delayed resonances are corrected by modification of frequency response. So far as reflections in the enclosure: I could not measure any substantial resonances as a product of the rear enclosure in a seperate analysis that I performed sometime back. No difference was found with an empty rear enclosure vs. one filled with semi-dense acoustic absorbing fibers. As for a 3500 Hz resonance as a product of modal resonance of two parralel surfaces, this would require a 1.95"[1/2 wavelength of 3500 Hz in air] parralel of significant surface area. The only dimension that fits this approx. specification is that of the vertical area of the earpad. Note that most headphones have earpads. Unless they are made from an acoustically absorbative[with a high coefficient at the modal frequency of interest] material such as loose weave cloth covering with open cell foam support/core, or alternatively designed to avoid parralel surfaces by some unusual angle of construction, then such minor resonance(s) related to the earpad is unavoidable. If you find such to be a problem, I recommend a notch filter.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Chris

Hmm.. I mounted my V6 drivers in a maxell HP2000 and the 3500Hz sharpness (resonance?) completely disappeared, although the treble was just as pronounced??? The HP2000 earcup is much larger volume and dimensionally it is different than the V6. Is it the different cable perhaps and not so much the earcup dimensions?

Garrett

Jul 20, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Hmm.. I mounted my V6 drivers in a maxell HP2000 and the 3500Hz sharpness (resonance?) completely disappeared, although the treble was just as pronounced??? The HP2000 earcup is much larger volume and dimensionally it is different than the V6. Is it the different cable perhaps and not so much the earcup dimensions?

What sort of method did you use to measure/analyse said 3500 Hz resonance? Or is this a subjective perception? So far as using a different headphone chassis, this changes the distance to ear, pad dimensions, material and other related specifications, and makes for what is essentially a different total system. A cable is not going to have any such effect, such as a 3500Hz resonance, in a normal circumstance.

-Chris

Jul 21, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

What sort of method did you use to measure/analyse said 3500 Hz resonance? Or is this a subjective perception? So far as using a different headphone chassis, this changes the distance to ear, pad dimensions, material and other related specifications, and makes for what is essentially a different total system. A cable is not going to have any such effect, such as a 3500Hz resonance, in a normal circumstance.

-Chris

No... Unfortunately Im just going by ear.
frown.gif
.. I wish there were an easier way.
Yeah it could be psycho acoustics tricking me. I didnt objectively measure them, and I didnt do a blind comparison. Even then, the difference was noticeable and.. hardly minor.

I think the maxell V6 driver is farther away from the ear than the OEM V6 can.

If it matters, the drivers age differs by about 2 years between the 2 sets.

????

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back