EQ Help!
Jan 17, 2016 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nekromantik

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys/gals

I just got a new Fiio X5 2nd gen and want to set up U shape EQ.
I  been told due to way Fiio implement it I need to do in reverse so put all freq to max and then lower ones I want to adjust,
With this in mind, what values do I need for a U shape sound?

Thanks

Jan 17, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just got a new Fiio X5 2nd gen and want to set up U shape EQ.
I  been told due to way Fiio implement it I need to do in reverse so put all freq to max and then lower ones I want to adjust,

OK...so basically you put everything up, then lower what's in the middle? Why not just skip the "all freq to max" part if you'll lower a few later?

In any case, what you'll end up doing boosting everything is putting up spikes all over the range. Your goal is strong bass and strong treble, so go and boost the lowest and highest bands. If there are seven bands or more, then do that for the two lowest and two highest bands. Done.

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 5

OK...so basically you put everything up, then lower what's in the middle? Why not just skip the "all freq to max" part if you'll lower a few later?

In any case, what you'll end up doing boosting everything is putting up spikes all over the range. Your goal is strong bass and strong treble, so go and boost the lowest and highest bands. If there are seven bands or more, then do that for the two lowest and two highest bands. Done.

No they meant put everything to max and then only lower the freq you want boosting.

I will try Everything at 0 and boosting 2 low and 2 high. 

Jan 18, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 5
Why boost anything at all? You'd be better to start with all at flat and reduce a couple of the middle ones. Then increase the volume to taste.

Jan 18, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No they meant put everything to max and then only lower the freq you want boosting.

I don't know if you're using Google translate to post or you didn't understand whatever it was you read or what you read was erroneous information, but this doesn't make sense - why "lower" the freq you want "boosted"? "Boost" means "increase," lower means "decrease" - if you want a certain frequency louder why would you lower it then? At the very least I can just guess that what you read was trying to say that if you have a relatively narrow valley centered at 2000hz and a wide plateau/mountain on either side, lowering the response centered at 400hz to 800hz and 4000hz to 7000hz depending on Q-Factor or the severity and width of the EQ effect from the center freq works better than a narrow boost at 2khz.

However that is also more of a technique for producing a neutral, accurate sound, whereas you want an unnatural response. While technically the human ear is more sensitive to the midrange frequencies and technically lowering the middle of the range should make the extremes louder by comparison, the problem with what you want is the tool available to you. The EQ on that player might have many bands, but if the width of the effect on each is too narrow - read up on Q-Factor for more info on this - then what will happen is that you introduce a series of relatively narrow EQ effects and potentially creating a more jagged graph smack in the range that humans are naturally more attuned to hearing. In other words, instead of just lowering the level of the range that human hearing has a bias to evenly, you leave out peaks between then and your ears end up hearing a wholly screw** up sound all throughout. So in your case, just boost.

Therefore in your case it's simpler and safer to just boost the opposite ends, and if you hear clipping or overexcursion by the drivers, then dial back on the volume level or how much you boosted those freqs in the EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back