EQ for de-essing vocals
Apr 15, 2006 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Tachikoma

Headphoneus Supremus
You know when singers pronounce "S", it becomes a really sharp "hiss" and it hurts your ears? I was looking for some sort of EQ to help reduce that "essing" effect, but after some googling all I found were some audio processing programs like Waves De-esser. What I need is an EQ setting, or EQ program that works with foobar2000 (0.8.3), so could anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #2 of 5
The word you're looking for is 'sibilance', that may give you some better results. I don't really know any actual EQ for it though, since I don't use EQ (I always make things sound worse than before
rolleyes.gif
).

Apr 15, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz
The word you're looking for is 'sibilance', that may give you some better results. I don't really know any actual EQ for it though, since I don't use EQ (I always make things sound worse than before
rolleyes.gif
).

haha, I'm not the one who made up the "essing" term >_>

15k... ok I'll give that a try. anything else?

Apr 15, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 5
I believe de-essing normally occurs in the 5-7KHz range...but is done with a multiband compressor. I don't know if you can get resonable results with an EQ. It depends on the source material. If it's just vocals, it's probably doable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back