EQ causes distortion WMP 11 and WinAmp
Dec 5, 2007 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

GnuB

100+ Head-Fier
I use a USB DAC and headphone amp from my laptop and wanted to add a little more bass to the music using the equalizer in both Windows Media Player 11 and the latest WinAmp. It works on a few songs but on most it adds distortion. I have tried decreasing the volume setting in the Windows Volume Control and turning up the amp without effect.

A. Is this a common problem with Windows player applications?
B. Is it a problem with Windows itself?
3. I guess I could try cutting the high's rather than boosting the lows ..

Anyhoo, any suggestions appreciated.

Dec 5, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #3 of 8
You need to understand that when you up your levels with an eq, it will start to clip. So when your bass goes too high over the main levels it will clip. You need to pull down on your main volume and then apply eq.

Dec 5, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 8
As said above, it's probably the equalizer that's causing the clipping. Decreasing levels after the EQ will not solve the problem. If the level getting to the EQ is reduced you'd have better luck.

Dec 6, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 8
Actually, I thought of 3 as I was typing the message but didn't have time to try it out until this evening. After listening to a few of my favorite cuts (i.e. Genesis: I Can't Dance, Santana: Nothing at All) and experimenting with the EQ in WMP11, the following gave just the right amount of bass boost without muddying it up too much.
0 @ 31
0 @ 62
-3 @ 125
-4 @ 250
-5 @ 500
-6 @ 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, 16k

To my ears, the Windows Volume control didn't have any effect on the amount of distortion. I like it just below max (between the 6th and 7th tic mark) and gain up the amp to get the volume level right. Anyhoo, these settings work with my setup.

WMP11 (WMA HQ vbr) -> Penguin DAC -> Penguin Amp -> Ety ER-4P's

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by GnuB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To my ears, the Windows Volume control didn't have any effect on the amount of distortion.

That's because the windows volume control comes after winamps own. The distortion happens there.

Dec 7, 2007 at 11:36 AM Post #7 of 8
Edit: Err, nevermind... Already covered.
tongue.gif

Dec 9, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #8 of 8
Sometimes, cutting the highs makes it sound different than boosting the lows since the intermediate frequencies between bands aren't lowered as much as the set slider bands. Boosting the bass will probably make it sound more natural, just remember to turn the preamp (which is on the Winamp EQ) down as much as the highest boost so it doesn't clip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back