EPZ IEMs and Dongles Thread
Dec 6, 2023 at 5:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

baskingshark

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently bought some stuff from the EPZ Aliexpress site and was quite surprised with the price-to-performance ratio of their gear.

They have some gems inside their stable, but I realized there's no dedicated Headfi discussion thread for this brand. So without further ado, these are the EPZ gear I've tried (have bought a couple EPZ dongles from the last Black Friday sale, so might update this post later once they arrive).

1) EPZ Q5

Q5_2.jpg

EPZ Q5.jpg

Wrote a review here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/epz-q5.26665/reviews#review-32312

This is a budget single DD which has a bright V-shaped signature. Very technical for the coin, though treble sensitive folk might want to look elsewhere. Good introductory set.

Pros:
Satisfactory accessory line-up
Good ergonomics and fit
Relatively easy to drive
Above average isolation
Excellent technicalities for a budget single DD; superb clarity and resolution
Fast and clean bass
Decent timbre

Cons:
MMCX connectors
Driver flex
Rip-off of the Meze Advar's design
Not for treble sensitive peeps
Note weight on the thinner side

2) EPZ G10

G10 1.jpeg

EPZ G10.jpg

This is an even cheaper budget single DD. Neutral bright, perhaps not for treble sensitive folk once again. Will spend more time with it and update this post later.

3) EPZ 530

EPZ 1.jpeg

EPZ 530.jpg

This is a 5BA Sonion containing IEM.

Wrote an initial impressions here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/page-6039#post-17852511

Will get a detailed review out in a few week's time, but initial listening impressions are promising. It has excellent ergonomics and passive isolation. Fashioned from wood, and shells are very elegant. Extremely technical V-shaped pair, top-notch imaging and soundstage, though once again, can be on the brighter side for treble sensitive peeps.

Amongst the midFI gear I have, this the 530 is probably one of the more resolving multi-driver types at the $300 range, it can give higher priced stuff like the Moondrop Variations a run for money in technicalities.

Dec 6, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #2 of 12
I'm a big fan of both the Q5 and the 530 had them both a while the 539 in particular is a fantastic iem for the price apart from the beautiful packaging and excellent cable they sound really good my first all ba set that I actually listen to after the new toy phase

Dec 7, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 12
Dec 8, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #4 of 12
I own both the Q5 and the G10 and I think I like the G10 more, it sounds more musical, it balances bass and treble a bit better than the Q5, at least for me and my preferences. Surprisingly good for the money.

Dec 23, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #5 of 12
Here is a review of the EPZ 530: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/epz-530.26661/reviews#review-32508

EP 5.jpeg

Pros:
Extremely generous accessory line-up
Modular cable included for balanced and single-ended source pairing
Solid build with beautiful wooden shells
Comfortable fit
Easy to drive
Terrific passive isolation
Consumer friendly V-shaped sonics, quite all-rounded in tuning
Excellent technicalities (especially soundstage and imaging)
Fast and clean bass
One for trebleheads, analytical-freaks and even for audio work

Cons:
May be a bit bright for treble-sensitive folk, especially at louder volumes (Fletcher Munson curve)
BA bass (lacks decay compared to DD bass)
Slight BA timbre

EPZ 530.jpg

Graph of the EPZ 530 via IEC711 coupler. 7 - 8 kHz is a coupler artefact peak.

Dec 23, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #6 of 12
Here is a review of the EPZ 530: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/epz-530.26661/reviews#review-32508

EP 5.jpeg

Pros:
Extremely generous accessory line-up
Modular cable included for balanced and single-ended source pairing
Solid build with beautiful wooden shells
Comfortable fit
Easy to drive
Terrific passive isolation
Consumer friendly V-shaped sonics, quite all-rounded in tuning
Excellent technicalities (especially soundstage and imaging)
Fast and clean bass
One for trebleheads, analytical-freaks and even for audio work

Cons:
May be a bit bright for treble-sensitive folk, especially at louder volumes (Fletcher Munson curve)
BA bass (lacks decay compared to DD bass)
Slight BA timbre

EPZ 530.jpg
Graph of the EPZ 530 via IEC711 coupler. 7 - 8 kHz is a coupler artefact peak.
Great review

Dec 25, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #7 of 12
Dec 31, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #8 of 12
Very curious about this EPZ X Tipsy Star One.
I stumbled upon it while looking randomly through stuff on AliExpress and the shell is beautiful. I like the white one more but I think both look great.
Actually, what I'd really love is an option to have one white and one black.

Dec 31, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #9 of 12
Very curious about this EPZ X Tipsy Star One.
I stumbled upon it while looking randomly through stuff on AliExpress and the shell is beautiful. I like the white one more but I think both look great.
Actually, what I'd really love is an option to have one white and one black.

I bought one on Aliexpress, am awaiting the delivery, which is sadly a bit delayed due to the festive period logistics.

Will update once it arrives.

Jan 25, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #11 of 12

I like the Star & One. Its niche will probably go unappreciated given it has landed at the same time as the LM. Wish I'd got the white though, such a looker

It is a very good single DD IMO.

Just a bit tough to drive due to the combination of low sensitivity and high impedance (Sensitivity 100 dB mw if converted to these units, Plus 64 ohm Impedance).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back