Epos ELS3 and Castle Pembroke's
Sep 30, 2003 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

elnero

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone heard either of these?

Due to moving into a smaller space I'm contemplating selling my Swan's and replacing them with a bookshelf speaker or easier to place small floorstander. Both the Epos ELS3's and the Castle Pembroke's have grabbed my attention.

The Epos press that I've read seems very positive especially in regards to it's midrange and high's. My main concern here is the low end. I'm pretty sure I would have to add a subwoofer which, when stands are added on as well, pushes the cost well beyond what I can get the Pembroke's for.

The Pembroke's on the other hand being a small floorstander have more bass extension but it's hard to tell by how much. I expect a subwoofer may be a bonus but not necessary. I've read a couple of reviews in which one states the bass to be very good while the other has a less postive view but still rates the speaker quite well. Oddly enough these have more of a wife acceptance factor as well, mainly I think due to my wife hating stands and the mohagany finish that would fit in perfectly.

Oh yes my other choice which I should get to hear sometime in the next week or two is the Paradigm Atom and PDR 8 or 10 sub combo which would be significantly cheaper than either the Epos and sub or Pembroke's.

Seeing as I won't have a chance to hear either Pembrokes or ELS3's I thought I would see if any of you guys and gals have heard them and could offer any thoughts.

Oct 1, 2003 at 7:31 AM Post #2 of 5
Hmmm, my Castle Pembrokes mkII are standmounters... some 24inch tall. There was matching wooden stands sold separately.
I bought mine (£400) after some extensive auditioning - I liked their slight withdrawn character(probably why I like HD600s too)
that appeared to have more bass control than similiarly priced Tannoys. Probably not one for rockers (though I am an aging one, I do like control and the space between notes and dislike flabby bass).
I've had mine some 10years and I liked them alot, though now I'm planing on DIYing something superior. They prefer a hefty sand filled steel stand to sound their best.
I also rewired and upgraded the crossover components to excellent effect.
My advice to you is speakers is a very personal thing - dont buy till you hear. If you cant do that, then get them on a sale or return.

Oct 1, 2003 at 9:25 AM Post #3 of 5
Sorry mate, you sent me a PM earlier in the week looking for some opinions, but I've been so busy with school lately.

I've heard the ELS-3's with Audiospace valve amplification, and a Cayin HDCD valve source.

It was a good 6 months ago, so it is very hard to remember anything in detail, except that the speakers impressed me very much.

They were polite sounding, very musical, and involving. Imaging was spot on, but bass was a tiny bit lean - they are tiny speakers though, so it is hard to expect deep extension. The midrange is the winner though, very palpable vocals.

They weren't complete bliss though, so I would be weary of buying without audition.

Oct 2, 2003 at 1:32 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the responses guys.

goon-heaven,

I think you must have an earlier version of the Pembrokes. The current version is a small floorstander with a downward firing port. Apparently they are fairly flexible in placement which will be a big requirement for me.

Happyman,

Thanks for the input. I probably won't get to audition either of these speakers. There are others on the my list that I may get to audition but right now these are at the top.

pbirkett,

Thanks for the link. That's actually one of the review's that I referred to in my original post the other was less enthusiastic on the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back