Epic symphonic work (Sound tracks, Classical, etc)
Aug 9, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #31 of 52

Quote:
I love this kind of music :)
There are a lot of good suggestions in this thread - the classical stuff, movie soundtracks, some anime bgm - but I wanna open up a new ... I wouldn't say genre, but a different source for this kind of epic, powerful, orchestral choir music.

Trailer music. That's what you're looking for, and boy can you find a lot of it.

Here's an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FPUExZCWwY
Used in a Spider Man trailer.

Here's one that I don't think was used in any trailers, and isn't a short build-up like most movie trailer music is. It's more like an entire song, is extremely beautiful, and is the song that got me hooked on this stuff. Made by the same group (Immediate Music).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTEnGw5UAi8

If you do like this, look up some more of Immediate Music's stuff. Another group that makes trailer music is X-Ray Dog.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCTcbjbL0wU
My favorite piece by X-Ray Dog. this is a modified version of one of the pieces that they made for one of the Lord of the Rings trailers (the one here is Gothic Monsters, the original is Gothic Power, also made by X-Ray Dog).

Excellent links. This is precisely what I was looking for.

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #32 of 52

Quote:
This might be the music you're looking for:

It's anime, I know, but if I'm guessing right, this should be more in the vein for the music you're looking for, most of the related also have choirs. What you can also have a look at Hans Zimmer's Inception album, mind-blowing movie, mind-blowing album, though has no choir which you are looking for.

That's perfect, thanks! Btw is Evangelion 2.0 a sequel to the original classic? Eva was my first anime ever. After watching it I was baptized into the world of better animation (USA cartoons need not apply).

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #33 of 52

Quote:
Probably a bit overplayed like Duel of the Fates, but epic FTW nonetheless
:

Never realized this was from LOTR. I've heard it used in many gaming videos. I'll have to get this for sure.

edit: from Requiem for a Dream, actually.

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #34 of 52
Oh, damn! I totally forgot the best, most epic piece of music ever written:

Wish I could find a better quality version but after looking through endless links on youtube I don't know if there is a better one than I linked here.

Aug 9, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #35 of 52

Quote:
Never realized this was from LOTR. I've heard it used in many gaming videos. I'll have to get this for sure.

It's not from LOTR. It's from the movie "Requiem For A Dream".

Aug 9, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #37 of 52

Quote:

Glad you liked them :)
 It always brings a smile to my face when we share music and we all enjoy it!

Since you liked Immediate Music and X-Ray Dog, you'll want to check out the music production group Two Steps From Hell; they make similar orchestral/choir music.

Btw Eva 2.0 is the sequal to Eva 1.0, which are remakes of the original series (which ended / coincided with episodes 25 and 26, and the movie End of Evangelion [episodes 25' and 26']). The remakes will span 4 movies, so the next one to come out is 3.0, and will conclude with 4.0. They're also vastly different from the original series.

Aug 9, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #38 of 52

Quote:
Maxvla said:

Glad you liked them :)
 It always brings a smile to my face when we share music and we all enjoy it!

Since you liked Immediate Music and X-Ray Dog, you'll want to check out the music production group Two Steps From Hell; they make similar orchestral/choir music.

Btw Eva 2.0 is the sequal to Eva 1.0, which are remakes of the original series (which ended / coincided with episodes 25 and 26, and the movie End of Evangelion [episodes 25' and 26']). The remakes will span 4 movies, so the next one to come out is 3.0, and will conclude with 4.0. They're also vastly different from the original series.

Aug 9, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #39 of 52
Quote:
Familiar as in I've performed it before. I play the viola and listen to classical music all day at work (since I work in a violin shop other music is not really a good idea).

Then you are excused, haha.

And yeah, Code Geass was just epic, it was just an epic anime that provided so many different forms of entertainment, it was ridiculous and good, then in the second season it got ridiculous and sorta bad, then in the end it just got ridiculous. But the music was pretty darn good. Oh, and this from Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni was pretty neat as well.

And a different kind of epicness:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygJYxMP_ICY

Though talking about games:
Final Fantasy 7 or the rockier version
Demon's souls

I'd also recommend the Summer part of Vivaldi's Four Seasons

Edit: Eva 2.0 is part of a remake series of Eva movies called Rebuild of Evangelion, where 1.0 is the first movie, and 2.0 is the second one, from 1.0 to 3.0 they're retelling the story, and the 4th movie will be sort of like End of Eva or something. By remake I mean they even change the plot elements and the characters becomes milder versions of their anime counterparts.

Aug 9, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #40 of 52
Thanks for the info on the Eva stuff. I'll probably wait til all 4 are out before I watch them.

Aug 12, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #41 of 52
Thought of another great show opening:

Aug 12, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #44 of 52
This actually turned out to be a very interesting thread. It's a nice mix of soundtracks and classical. I will echo other posters: Ode to Joy is awesome, Planets, Carmina Burana, etc. all great. I have to give the main props for epiciness tho to Tchaikovsky. IMO many of his larger movements make heavy metal music seem mundane and limp.

Quote:
Tadaaki Otaka with the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra: Orchestrations Astromantic. 

Do you have anymore info on this? Or a link? Amazon.ca comes up nill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back