EP-630 What's the issue?
Mar 29, 2006 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

suharsh

New Head-Fier
Just got the Creative EP-630's and they are sounding so awful! There is absolutely no bass, they sound so bright and the worst - they don't feel comfortable. The bass is so weak for the ep-630's that in comparison my AKG-1000 sounds like sub-woofer. I tried all the three fittings that are provided and the sound didn't seem to change drastically and neither did my impression.

I know that these earphones have a great review, so must be something wrong with me or the ep-630 piece that I got.

I am a little surprised with the comfort level also. I thought that they would fit in snugly but they don't seem to. The provided ipod earphones seem to do a better job than the ep-630's. I will play them for several hours before deciding to return them.

Did you folks have the same initial impressions of the ep-630?

Mar 29, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #4 of 15
I certainly did try all the three tip sizes, but to no change in my impression.

Quote:

but you did squish the earpiece into your canal right?

Well I think I did. Maybe I can confirm by asking a question - if you had a conversation going on between two other people and you had these phones well plugged into the ears, would you know that there were two people talking next to you?

May be my ears don't have a comfortable fit for these phones.

Mar 29, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #5 of 15
I have the EP-630s and I find them quite bass heavy. If you have them in correctly, the sound around you should seem muffled, almost like you're wearing ear plugs.

Mar 29, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #6 of 15
I have these, also -- have you worn this kind of canal phone before?

Unlike earbuds, which barely fit in the outer cartilage of your ear, the canal phones are supposed to plug gently but firmly into the ear canal, which effectively provides a modest degree of isolation, while maximizing the fullness of the sound. Think of them as ear plugs.

An advantage of canal phones like this is that you can maneuver them around in your ears to find the sweet spot for what sounds best -- the very soft silicone earpieces should allow for this comfortably.

Mar 30, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #8 of 15
Canal earphones are supposed to fit deep in you ear canal and not in the same position as ear buds. I find the ep-630 to be the most comfortable earphone and the most bass boomy earphone/headphone I have used. Here is a pic of how it should be worn:
picture220ni.jpg
Anyway, If you feel uncomfortable, its a good idea to let your ears rest for about a day.

Mar 30, 2006 at 10:17 AM Post #9 of 15
After just upgrading my IEM from the Sony EX71 to the EP-630 I'm astounded by the overall improvement in sound quality. I find it hard to believe that Sony could make such a simple product, get it so wrong, and charge a premium.
The bass resolution on the EP-630 seems reasonable for what it is. The IEM sound takes some getting used to, so maybe you need to give it some time? With a snug fit, the EP-630 should be quite tolerable.

Mar 30, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #10 of 15
^^^ I totally agree, the EX71 is shown up so badly by pretty much every one of its competitors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suharsh
Well I think I did. Maybe I can confirm by asking a question - if you had a conversation going on between two other people and you had these phones well plugged into the ears, would you know that there were two people talking next to you?

If there was no music playing, you'd be able to make it out. With music, not a chance.

Mar 30, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #11 of 15
Thanks folks for all the replies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
I bet nothing's wrong with the earphones.
It's you.

Either that you never tried IEM's before and they're not for you or that you're a basshead.

I think you are right. Some how they just don't seem to fit my ears. I asked my wife to help me out but still they wouldn't fit tightly. I am planning to try the etymotic series, they seem to have a little different type of plugs. Hopefully the should fit.

Once again thanks all for helping me out.

Mar 30, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #12 of 15
Try this. As you push them into your ears, lift the upper outer edge of your ear to more fully open the ear canal. After you insert the EP630, release your ear. You can see an instruction on this technique on the shure web site.

Mar 31, 2006 at 10:06 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by suharsh
Thanks for the tip. I have been trying so much that it is hurting. I will try it tomorrow.

Hey dood about the comfort, they really REALLY REALLY made me feel pain at the first 3 days i wore them.
After that i dont feel them. suffer a little and it'll be ok!
etysmile.gif

Now i dont feel them. amazing what a couple of days can do....

Apr 8, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #15 of 15
After trying them for few more days, I have decided to abandon my quest for the IEM - sadly but I believe it is the correct decision. Seems they just don't fit me that well. Though I am still tempted to try out the Etymotics.

One thing is that the EP-630 does have bass and they do sound good. However I could never get comfortable with them. I then went out and bought the Shure E3C's, Philips Surround Sound (not true IEM's) and Koss EarPhones. I had the same problem with all of them, just couldn't get them to fit me well. My ears became sore in my attempt to get them fit.

My intent was to use them at work and air trips (which I don't do that frequently). Was trying to avoid huge phones that are visible to people 25 feet away!

May be will continue with some cheap earbuds for work. At least have a decent gear at home - Stax 404, AKG 1000 and Senn HD600s.

Thanks to all the folks who gave advice and helped out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back