envy24 Windows 7, is my AV-710 kaput? SOLVED
Nov 5, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #16 of 24
In that case, I don't know what to do. I know I needed the Envy control panel to switch to the back surround outputs.

Shot in the dark, but maybe try running the installer in XP or Vista compatibility mode? (I mean, right click on Setup.exe and choose XP or Vista under Compatibility, it probably wouldn't matter which service pack.)

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #17 of 24
OK. Good. You've given me hope. I'm really a 7 noobie. Like less than two days. And it's on the same computer I'm typing this on w/XP Pro. But two hard drives. And I have to disconnect and reconnect each time I move back and forth. Worn out! I tried to figure how to install in a previous compatibility version, but no dice. What I have is a folder of files downloaded from VIA. I tried right clicking the setup.exe to look for a compatibility helper but didn't see anything. I'll work on that some more.

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #18 of 24
Well, the drivers are in a zip file. If you extract that, there is a Setup.exe. That's the file you would try running in compatibility mode by right-clicking it, selecting the Compatibility tab, then "Run this program in compatibility mode for..." and then select one of the XP or Vista versions.

I have another idea though. In the folder where you extracted the files, open the folder called VIAEnvyAud, then open the folder EnvyADeck. This is the special control panel the card uses. Try running EnMixCPL.exe and see if that brings it up.

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #19 of 24
once again, thanks for hanging in there with me. I tried opening the ADeck from my download folder and indeed it opened. Was good to see it. But it wasn't functional. So then I looked around for compatibility adjustment to the setup. Right clicking the file does not offer it. But I found by opening the compatibility assistant and then navigating to the file, that works. So I successfully got thru the installation in XP mode which is what I use. Installed the ADeck just fine and the driver too. But the ADeck was still dysfunctional. Buttons wouldn't work. And anytime I tried to test a speaker it would say not compatible with the platform or no driver installed (!). So I uninstalled it and reinstalled it under compatibility mode Vista SP1, even tho I've never used that. Same business. Installs succesfully. Nothing works. If I let windows repair it, I'm back to just the control panel sound panel.

Nov 6, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #20 of 24
I got my AV710 to fit (barely lol) and at first I opened Device Manager and manually updated the drivers from the extracted 540a zip. The drivers were installed fine. As I had my speakers hooked up to the HQ Alt Out, they did not produce sound. W7 only showed Envy24 Speakers (front, aka green jack) and SPDIF Out. Anything I tried could not get the SPDIF & HQ Alt to work
frown.gif

Then I looked for the Envy24 Control Deck...not to be found. I too just opened the EXE from the extracted ZIP files. It opened, but didn't seem to control change much.

So I tried to install from SETUP.EXE, it got most of the way thru, and then stopped saying OS was not supported or summat. I exited setup, and right clicked Setup.exe, and set compatibility mode to Windows Vista. This time setup went all the way thru. Rebooted, and changed my speakers to "Speakers" (the green jack), I can hear sounds now.

When I open the Envy24 control, and select 2ch HQ .. it seems to stop the Windows Sound Manager or summat, and nothing works. I click on the X'd (/) out speaker icon in the Taskbar, and Windows detects audio issues, and asked me what to fix..yaddda yadda yadda, now I can get sounds from green jack again.

Nov 6, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #21 of 24
thanks for the info. That is pretty much my exact experience. The only problem is that the sound out of the green jack isn't the quality I recall from the black (rear) jack. Oh well. I will try the newer driver talked about above.

Nov 6, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #22 of 24
Nov 6, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #23 of 24
Thanks Joshatdot for the link. I've followed these guides in the past. Seemed to be what I was looking for, but, I am working with Windows 7 Professional 32-bit, and the instructions call for updating the driver to a 64-bit one. Well, I gave it a shot. And sure enough Windows 7 told me I already had the most up to date driver installed and when I tried to force the 4.60b XP64 driver, it said it's not compatible with my system or something to that effect. Screen shots below. So still not working here. What version of win7 are you using?

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #24 of 24
Good news! Success! I dug deeper thru the link originated by Infinitesymphony and on page 26 oohms suggests using the 473b driver to update for 32 bit systems. Once again Win7 didn't want to do it saying I had the most up to date driver, so I chose to install from disc. Then I navigated to the 473b folder extraxted on my hard drive. That worked. Rebooted and it works great. Sounds DIVINE. Thanks everyone for your assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back