envy24 Windows 7, is my AV-710 kaput? SOLVED
Nov 4, 2009 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

bonjonno

Head-Fier
I dl the latest VIA envy24 driver, 540A. Supposed to work for both 32-bit and 64-bit Win 7. I installed in both versions OK. Says it's working. I can see it making noise graphically, but there is zero output from any jacks on my AV-710. And what I really want is output from those rear channels. I never had Vista so I missed the talk on that. Is this card obsolete?

Nov 4, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 24
It's the only audio device. It only has adjustments for speakers or spdif. I'm brand new to win 7 but there don't seem to be the same old configuration routines I'm used to.

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #6 of 24
thanks for the heads up on the newer version. I just got 540a a few days ago. The big bummer is that the old drivers used to have an easy way to pick the rear channels by using spdif mode. I cannot find Audio Deck in windows 7, just what looks like the propietary sound adjustment; either speakers or spdif. I'm on dial up so have to wait til I can get my laptop near wi-fi to try the new driver. Also why I cannot let windows just update the drivers. still trying to get dial-up to work.

Nov 5, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #7 of 24
hmm. just looked at VIA drivers page and they show the latest driver as 5.40a. Googled envy24 5.40h and had only one result in Asian. I've never had only one google result before. Pretty impressive. So where have you seen this 5.40h driver?

Nov 5, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #8 of 24
I have afew AV-710s laying around...not sure if they can fit in my rig, because my GF9600 GT OC takes up most of the PCI slot space. I'll see if I can get it in, and try it in W7 Pro x64.

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #9 of 24
F, not H
smily_headphones1.gif

Direct Link
Looks like Windows 7 isn't listed as a supported OS, dunno if this is true or just an oversight.

Nov 5, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #10 of 24
DOH!! Got my letters mixed up. Yeah, without the win7 support, I may not jump on that. In fact my next move is to install one of the really old drivers like 4.73 and see if that works. I've been amazed at how much of my older hardware works in windows 7 with super old drivers. I'll let you know. If it burns and crashes I'll get a copy of 5.40f. Thanks!

Nov 5, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #11 of 24
well funny thing. I uninstalled 5.40a. Then tried some of my old faves and Windows 7 rejected them all and stopped the installation. Kinda cool that. But I noticed the loud speaker in the tray so I opened it up and it showed the same envy 24 box I had from the 5.40a installation. Except the driver listed is 12/5/2007 ver: 5.12.1.3653 and comes from VIA-IC Ensemble. Never seen that before. Don't know where it came from unless Windows 7 had it stashed. I've yet to get my dial-up working on 7, so no internet connection. Now I can get sound through the front speakers jack in stereo. But it's not as good as thru the rear jacks and that is what the AV-710 is all about for sound enthisiasts. Does anyone have the rear jacks outputting stereo in Windows 7, and if so, how'd you do it?

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #12 of 24
It's been a while, but from what I remember I had to select the high sample rate mode to use the rear jacks. Did you do that? I think it defaulted to 96khz but you could change it.

One annoyance I had was that any time the computer went into suspend, it would reset the card's setting to the front channels.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #13 of 24
yes, thanks. I know that is the way I do it with my old driver on XP. Problem is that the audio deck is gone, and the adjustments are now made in a windows 7 interface that doesn't seem to have that option. There is a sample rate drop down tho, I'll check that...

Nov 5, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #14 of 24
So you're using the "Sound" section in Control Panel? The Envy drivers should have their own control panel. Maybe it didn't start for some reason. If you don't see it running, try going to the folder (or maybe the start menu) and running whatever executable it is.

Actually I think I may have had this problem too. BTW, the 5.40A drivers are the latest that's on my hard drive, so they definitely worked with Vista64.

Nov 5, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #15 of 24
yes the "sound" section in control panel is all I've got. I'm brand new to Windows 7 so alot of stuff is happening simultaneously. After retracing my steps, it is apparent that I upgraded the driver from device manager. If I try to load the driver from the envy package the Installshield quits before it can load anything. Here is the message I get

Users who are viewing this thread

Back