Environmentally friendly shipping supplies
Jun 15, 2009 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

deltaydeltax

100+ Head-Fier
Do any of you have an idea/experience which stands out as amazing for being an Earth friendly solution? I've searched on Google for such products but only come up with the corn starch packing peanuts. Penzeys uses basil leaves and other such items. What are other ideas you might have seen?

I'm working on getting all of my own stuff setup to sell and this is a small choke point for me. I'm not really wiling to just buy regular cardboard boxes and stuff them with styrofoam.

Jun 15, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 8
Umm....

- Most cardboard boxes contain a large amount of recycled paper and you can buy environmentally friendly ones at a premium

- Use old newspaper as a filling. Buy it pre-shredded or just do it yourself. Newspaper is already mostly recycled paper.

- Tape, pretty much unavoidable. You can try the thick masking tape though. Gorilla Glue is pretty environmentally good too for closing up boxes and putting on labels.

- Re-use boxes is a great way to save money and resources.

Jun 15, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 8
popcorn.gif
works for packing material.

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #4 of 8
cardboard boxes and instead of throwing out old assignments, etc. shred it and then use it instead of styrofoam or go to your school and take some paper from the recycling bins and shred it

Jun 16, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #5 of 8
A Google search did turn up many recycled cardboard boxes. I was worried about their quality and actual recycled content.

The shredded news papers is a good idea. I remember some company was selling shredded checks as packing and that made people very angry.
Packing material poses threat to customers of one Texas bank - KTKA.com

The popcorn is an idea I really like. Do you think people might actually want some edible popcorn when they purchase a product. My stuff won't be sitting on a store shelf as units will be built to order.

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaydeltax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do any of you have an idea/experience which stands out as amazing for being an Earth friendly solution? I've searched on Google for such products but only come up with the corn starch packing peanuts. Penzeys uses basil leaves and other such items. What are other ideas you might have seen?

I'm working on getting all of my own stuff setup to sell and this is a small choke point for me. I'm not really wiling to just buy regular cardboard boxes and stuff them with styrofoam.

It's nice that you care about the environment.

Jun 16, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by deltaydeltax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The popcorn is an idea I really like. Do you think people might actually want some edible popcorn when they purchase a product. My stuff won't be sitting on a store shelf as units will be built to order.

No, other than no packing material at all i can't think of anything worse i would want to see when i open a package than actual popcorn. Don't think it offers much protection against drops either. Wouldn't you use a lot of electricity and energy to make the popcorn?

I love the idea of being more environmentally friendly though. I always re use shipping material or give it to the local UPS store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back