Entry tubes amp for K701: LD MKII, DV Figaro or other?
Feb 19, 2008 at 3:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Capunk

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

My friend just recently purchase a K701, he likes K701 very much as soon as he tried mine before. I tried to advice him that K701 need proper amplification to get it shine, and I recommend him to get tubes amp.

The problem is he doesn't have big budget, after he spending his money to buy K701. I would love to recommend him WA6 or SP Extreme... but that's simply out of budget, even to me.

So the only things comes to my mind is Little Dot MKII & Darkvoice Figaro,
does this amps suit K701? can this amps drive K701 to it's potential? (at least in sophisticated manner) or is there any more recommendations?

PS: I double check the Bada PH-12, but they cost almost the same as LD MK4 SE, so that's a bit out of range.

Feb 19, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #2 of 9
I vote the Little Dot. The tube rolling options are much wider, the Little Dot has a pre-amp output, and uses MUCH better components. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Not to mention a huge community of Little Dot users on this forum to provide support down the road.

Feb 19, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #3 of 9
He might consider the ZERO DAC/AMP. There is a huge thread of devotees here.
I can tell how it pairs with the K701's from personal experience in a week or two because I have a ZERO on order. (Unfortunately (for me) I ordered it during the Chinese New Years Holiday.)

Ben

Feb 19, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #5 of 9
He loves the sound out of my OMZ Headamp, which is fully discrete solid state headamp. But he's been intrigued by the way tubes amp looks, plus I receive numerous suggestions that K701 is way better with Tubes amp.

I tried K701 with iBasso D1, Xin SMIII v6, Heed Canamp & OMZ headamp... they does share the same sonic characteristic, but there is various level of qualities. So I wonder, will there is any differences if I use tubes instead of SS for this cans?

Feb 19, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #6 of 9
I am a happy owner of K701's and a Little Dot MkIII. I haven't auditioned the MkII, but for $45 more, the MkIII appears to be a good bit more substantial.

I'm sure there are several $200-250 (delivered) amps out there that are competitive, but it's hard to imagine a better bang for the buck than the LD MkIII.

Feb 20, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #7 of 9
Some said Little Dot 2++ has it's own sonic characteristic that differ from the rest of little dot products... and Penchum said the MKII carry the signature from the previous edition
smily_headphones1.gif

If MKIII is an improvement over MKII and has the similar characteristic, I wouldn't hesitant to recommend this amp to my friend... but do they?

Feb 20, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some said Little Dot 2++ has it's own sonic characteristic that differ from the rest of little dot products... and Penchum said the MKII carry the signature from the previous edition
smily_headphones1.gif

If MKIII is an improvement over MKII and has the similar characteristic, I wouldn't hesitant to recommend this amp to my friend... but do they?

Penchum's MkIII should be in his hands this week. Expect a full review shortly.

Feb 20, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #9 of 9
MKIII considered, how about darkvoice 336i? or SE?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back