Entry level USB DAC/AMPs?
Jul 24, 2011 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Volta

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm just debating whether to get either the DT990 or the PRO900s. Either way (especially w/ the dt990), I'm going to need some extra juice to drive these.

The quality/purity of the sound isn't too big a deal as I'm likely to be using VSTs like EQs to tweak the sound anyway. More important is the reliability and general power output.

So far I'm looking at -

Zero DAC/Amp
Emu 0202/0404
AUNE DAC/AMP
Hifiman EF2
Fiio E7

-----

Any comments on these or any alternatives? Max budget is about £120.

Cheers!

Jul 24, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 8
I am planning on DT990 Premium 250ohm with fiio E11
Bougth the amp today, wonder if it will have any effect on my grado sr80 and monster turbine (most probably none)
Now waiting for the DT990 to be sub 200$ (open for alternatives in the meanwhile, temped by SR325 and HFI580)

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
Hi,

I'm just debating whether to get either the DT990 or the PRO900s. Either way (especially w/ the dt990), I'm going to need some extra juice to drive these.

The quality/purity of the sound isn't too big a deal as I'm likely to be using VSTs like EQs to tweak the sound anyway. More important is the reliability and general power output.

So far I'm looking at -

Zero DAC/Amp
Emu 0202/0404
AUNE DAC/AMP
Hifiman EF2
Fiio E7

-----

Any comments on these or any alternatives? Max budget is about £120.

Cheers!

I have a DT990s and e7 it worked so far very nice... very handy to carry the whole package but, I just bought a meier corda entry level amp and WOW!!! I use canz3d and used to put some EQ but recently Im using them with out the EQ... 

The only bad thing about the e7 is that it only has USB input, if you're planning on a better setup later you should go with the Zero DAC/Amp

Jul 25, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #6 of 8
Any general comments on usb dac/amps around this budget? I'm doing lots of reading but can't find many comparisons. Leaning towards the AUNE at the moment. Are the reliability issues still there with the ZERO?

Jul 25, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #7 of 8
I don't think the E7 will be able to power the DT990 effectively, though I guess it depends on which model you buy. The E9 would be better strictly for amplification, then you'd be using a crummy on-board soundcard though.

I've never used the ZERO, but I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Jul 25, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
I don't think the E7 will be able to power the DT990 effectively, though I guess it depends on which model you buy. The E9 would be better strictly for amplification, then you'd be using a crummy on-board soundcard though.

I've never used the ZERO, but I've heard a lot of good things about it.

The e7 can take the 32 and 250 ohms DT990s, of course you'll get hell lot of better sound quality with a juicier amp :) 
x2 on the ZERO. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back