entry-level turntable
Jun 5, 2006 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

aphex_tom_9

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, i recently decided i want to start amassing a collection of vinyls of my favorite music before i head off to college this fall. I won some Aphex Twin LP's on ebay already, and im excited.
Only problem is, i took out my dad's old Garrard 630S turntable and tried to get it running, but at first it wouldnt even spin. so after opening it up and fooling around inside it spins, but the arm acts funny, and when i try to play a record it either skips or skids or just sounds awful. im afraid of damaging any of my records, as some of them are pretty valuable (ever hear of the limited edition Selected Ambient Works Volume 2 ?).
So, i decided i just want to go out and buy a decent turntable. Ive done some research and it seems the best bet for a tight budget (yes, im on a pretty tight budget here, sub $200 is preferable), is to look for a midrange table from the 70's/80's on ebay...but i need to know where to start looking, and for what specifically...
-thanks in advance, tom.

Jun 5, 2006 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 9
The problem with eBay sellers is that a lot of them don't know how to pack a TT..........believe me, I know!
You might want to check out some sites that deal with vintage TTs, such as this one:
http://members.aol.com/KDresch/audio.net.html
Good luck.
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by aphex_tom_9
Only problem is, i took out my dad's old Garrard 630S turntable and tried to get it running, but at first it wouldnt even spin. so after opening it up and fooling around inside it spins, but the arm acts funny, and when i try to play a record it either skips or skids or just sounds awful. im afraid of damaging any of my records, as some of them are pretty valuable (ever hear of the limited edition Selected Ambient Works Volume 2....

Sounds like your Garrard isn't set up properly. You need to balance the arm so it floats freely by backing off the counterweight and zeroing the antiskating control. Then set the correct downward force for the cart which is fitted.

Once you have this then set the antiskating by cuing up a record ( though maybe one you care less about than the Aphex Twin!) and raising and lowering the cuing lever onto the record until it drops into the same place in the groove each time.

That Garrard was never one of their best but it should be o.k to start with unless it's trashed. For 200USD you are not exactly spoilt for choice.

Avoid ebay unless you can go and collect for reasons mentioned, and check thrift stores. You might get a Technics or something 2nd hand. Also look for Thorens and Dual or NAD. Sansui and Pioneer also made some good 70's decks at budget level.
Entry level Hi-Fi decks go for 500+ today, so 2nd hand is better value if you can find a good example.

Jun 5, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #5 of 9
That isn't a good Garrard. I'd suggest searching ebay by location for a Dual 1228, 1229, 1218 or 1219. If you can find one near your home, you can pick it up and not risk having it damaged in the mail.

Hope this helps
Steve

Jun 7, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by aphex_tom_9
i found this http://cgi.ebay.com/Audio-Technica-A...QQcmdZViewItem
which seems to be in my price range, and appears to have a good reputation from what i've read...

Never heard one but in Hi-Fi terms the only "DJ" turntables that have any credibility are the Technics or possibly the Vestax.

You should be able to pick up a 2nd hand Technics in New York for 250 USD as they keep their value. This also gives you an upgrade path as originlive.co.uk make an armboard for the SL1200 which allows you to fit a better quality tonearm which lifts it's performance into VPI Scout territory.

This upgrade is expensive in the USA because of the weak dollar but is still very good value for money when you consider the cost of an equivalent deck.

Jun 7, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool
Never heard one but in Hi-Fi terms the only "DJ" turntables that have any credibility are the Technics or possibly the Vestax.

You should be able to pick up a 2nd hand Technics in New York for 250 USD as they keep their value. This also gives you an upgrade path as originlive.co.uk make an armboard for the SL1200 which allows you to fit a better quality tonearm which lifts it's performance into VPI Scout territory.

This upgrade is expensive in the USA because of the weak dollar but is still very good value for money when you consider the cost of an equivalent deck.

ok, ill hunt for a technics, but im still considering the audio-technica...opinions are still wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back