Entry-level recording equipment <$600
Dec 21, 2009 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

3X0

Headphoneus Supremus
I want to start recording.

The equipment I already have and will be using:
Shure Beta 58 (with XLR cable)
JHAudio JH13 Pro

So I'm thinking of getting an interface as well as a MIDI keyboard. As for software, my school provides subsidized copies of Pro Tools and Logic Pro, so no worries there.

The two options I was looking at for the interface include the E-MU 0404 USB and the Apogee Duet. My HTPC has an OS X partition (Hackintosh) and FireWire 400, so either should function optimally. Not sure about the keyboard, though. I was looking at M-Audio's Axiom series, probably a 49 or Pro 49. Not sure which one is the better value.

I have a budget of about $600 for the keyboard and interface, but obviously the lower the better. I intend to buy second-hand. If it sounds to you like I don't know what I'm doing, you'd be correct: I'm just going to start playing around for a couple of weeks and see what happens. With that in mind, what's some sweet stuff to learn on?

Dec 21, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 7
RecordingReview.com is a great place to find answers to recording questions like this. There are many interfaces, and not too many people are recordists here. I use an Echo Gina 3G interface because it is compatible with Linux, and I only need 2 inputs.

Features to look at / decide on:
Number of inputs
input/output connectors (xlr vs 1/4")
phantom power (needed for condenser mics)
direct monitoring capabilities
mixing options
MIDI

usb and firewire are more portable and can be used with a notebook. Either of them can support more than 8 simultaneous inputs. Reading reviews is difficult because some people have problems even with a really good interface, but don't buy one that has ALL bad reviews.

Dec 21, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 7
I intend to record and mix only in two channels. I'm very comfortable buying used -- I actually intend to buy both pieces used unless I can get a smashing deal on a brand new unit.

XLR inputs -- two is fine for me. Same with 1/4" TRS -- I'd like two for some flexibility, but I'm not going to go overboard when I'm just getting my toes wet. FireWire or USB is a must (no vacant PCI slots), but FireWire is preferable as I have one FireWire 400 port but no FireWire devices. Phantom power is a plus -- I have access to a wide variety of microphones, some of them being condensers (I work in AV).

Thanks for the URL, I'll check it out, especially those stickied threads. Is either the 0404 USB or Duet a good place to start for my interests, though? I'm attracted to both since they seem to have good D/A chips in them as well which would allow me to flip my Travagan's Green DAC/AMP to self-subsidize the cost. I wanna pull the trigger on something pretty quick once eBay Bing Cashback jumps a little bit.

I imagine I'll have a better idea of what I really need after I get a good place to start. If it's something lower-end and less pricey I'll probably flip it and upgrade in a couple of months and have a good idea of other necessary factors.

Dec 22, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #5 of 7
Like many things, recording is harder than it looks; the key is to just start doing it and you will get better. I would say that either of those interfaces would be a good starting point because they would be easy to sell to this community if you want to upgrade later.

From their web page, the Apogee Duet doesn't seem to have digital i/o ports (optical and s/pdiff). I also don't like a single multi-function knob, so I would probably prefer the 0404USB, which has separate controls for headphone out, input L, input r, phantom power, direct monitor level, etc. It is much easier to just reach for the correct control than it is to make sure the knob is in the correct mode first.

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #7 of 7
Do you have a preference of DAW recording software?

Mac: Pro Tools LE, Pro Tools M-Powered, Logic, Apple Garageband, Soundtrack Pro

Have you considered getting a slightly older version of DAW? Say 1 older version as a used CD-ROM via E-Bay or Craigslist or locally with the legit serial #?
You may get some nice VST plug-ins you can keep & use with other software.

ASIO drivers and the USB interface will work with most of the above software. Pro Tools is a bit more proprietary.

Just remember whatever you record now can always be transferred to another DAW down the road.
record at 24-bit and either 88.2kHz or 44.1kHz and you are golden.
FYI Pro Tools LE limits you to 44.1 or 48kHz sampling rate.
But for entry level 44.1kHz will be adequate. If you aren't working with a videocamera recording the performance also just stay at 44.1kHz.
Unless you are doing some major sound design work where you will be pitch shifting sounds a few octaves different 88.2 & 96 kHz sampling rates are somewhat overkill.

Save all of your mixdowns at 24-bit.

You should consider a 2nd microphone even a basic Shure SM57 cardiod dynamic mic that is $100.
When you can spend $200-400. on a decent Chinese-made condenser mic or a stereo pair of condenser mics to do some great stereo or close and distant miking for what you are recording.
As a Production Sound Mixer for TV & Film I can tell you that you can record to analog audio cassette with a great $1000. microphone and you can hear a major difference. It's all about the mic.
People say the preamp too but really it's the mic and the mic position. You can always change the tone in a DAW with EQ, effects, or plugins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back