Entry level PC Source optimization
Nov 22, 2013 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Solido

New Head-Fier
First off, thanks to anyone taking the time to read my post and offer help.  

I have been doing a bit of reading on the headphones I would like to get, and I am currently targeting the Sony MDR MA-900.  I am open to other possibilities, but from what I have been able to read, these headphones are top notch at their price point (sub$200).  I am not predisposed to an open headphone, but I don't need a closed, or isolated headphone, so my understanding is an open is probably better in this case.  I listen to classic rock, alternative, some metal, and a large amount of hip-hop.  If anyone has any recommendations on different headphones, I am open to suggestions.

To the main point of my thread.  I currently have a fair amount of FLAC albums stored on my PC, with a decent supplement of V0 mp3 files as well.  My PC has only the on board audio.  I am curious how to best optimize this source.  I do have a 5th generation ipod, and a Samsung Galaxy S 3 that may see some use, but these would be negligible.  With my PC as the source, should I be investing in a DAC and/or amp or a hybrid?  My budget is somewhat modest, but I want to make a wise choice, so if I have to suck it up and save a little money I can do that.  Am I taking the right approach even, or should I reconsider?  I appreciate any help offered, thanks!

Nov 22, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 7
I assume these will be your first real "quality" headphones?  

You're no doubt on the right track, if you want the sonys you mentioned then go for it, you can't really be disappointed since you have nothing to relate them to (I assume) 

I would just get a easy to drive headphone and skip the amp/external dac the first go around (you can always upgrade later)  I would look at the HD598s.  They make every genre sound good and have enough bass to make hip hop sound good.  They also don't need an amp but the E17 would benefit them as an amp/dac for it and it would work with both your computer and phone.  

If you don't really care much for bass the K550 is also a good option. 

Nov 22, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #3 of 7
  I assume these will be your first real "quality" headphones?  

You're no doubt on the right track, if you want the sonys you mentioned then go for it, you can't really be disappointed since you have nothing to relate them to (I assume) 

I would just get a easy to drive headphone and skip the amp/external dac the first go around (you can always upgrade later)  I would look at the HD598s.  They make every genre sound good and have enough bass to make hip hop sound good.  They also don't need an amp but the E17 would benefit them as an amp/dac for it and it would work with both your computer and phone.  

If you don't really care much for bass the K550 is also a good option. 

Thank you for the feedback.  I had been interested in the HD 598s, but from what I have read, the MA900s are just as easy to drive, and have a better sound quality and performance.  You are correct though, these will be my first 'quality' headphones, thus I am only basing my statements on what I have read here on head-fi.

Nov 23, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #5 of 7
Fidelio x1 perhaps

Nov 23, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #6 of 7
Anyone have any suggestions for my amp/DAC situation? I'm also considering the AKG 612. Would a portable DAC/amp be sufficient, or should I be looking at a fill size?

Nov 23, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #7 of 7
Portable will be fine for the mentioned headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back