Entry Level Over Ears Closed Headphones for Beginner
Oct 13, 2013 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

alvincrew

New Head-Fier
Hello there,

my name is Alvin and I live in Germany. I would like to make my first decent headphone purchase and after reading so much on this site, I decided perhaps it's best to ask directly for your advices.

I am not an audiophile (my past earphones are all OEM stuff) but since I have began to take trance and classical music appreciation more seriously, I would like to start off with an entry level, under $150 over ears closed headphones. The following factors I have considered (first being most important) are:
1. Comfort
2. Sound quality
3. Portability
4. Looks

Would appreciate if you can give your 2 cents to this yet-another-request for recommendation. :)
Thanks you.

Cheers

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #2 of 9
What sources are you going to be plugging the headphones into?

Oct 13, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 9
  Basic laptops/iphone. Thinking of getting a basic portable amp later on as well.

how much are you looking to spend

and where will you do doing your listening, at home or on the go 

Oct 14, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #7 of 9
  thank you for your response. my budget is below $150 for the headphones. they will be used on the go.

Very nice... are you willing to buy used? If so there are many great deals [from EU members] to be had here on head fi

Non the less, in the Sub $150 price range there are a plethera of used headphones that would fit ur needs

Hp 100, Shure 840, Beyer Dt 770 LE Beyerdyanmic Dt 250

still for new headphones... I hear a lot of positives about the SHure 440

I see that the DT 770 80 Ohm was recommend as well, I can second that. Beyer makes a nice comfy headphone with good sound quality. I use my full size cans portably [the beyers are full size so they are not the smallest] but here's what's nice about Beyer Headphones... they are TOUGH AS NAILS, so I'm confident you could chug that thing around in a small bag and it would be fine. So if your ok with the slighty larger DT 770 80 ohm I think it would suite your needs well! 

Oct 14, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #8 of 9
  Very nice... are you willing to buy used? If so there are many great deals [from EU members] to be had here on head fi

Non the less, in the Sub $150 price range there are a plethera of used headphones that would fit ur needs

Hp 100, Shure 840, Beyer Dt 770 LE Beyerdyanmic Dt 250

still for new headphones... I hear a lot of positives about the SHure 440

I see that the DT 770 80 Ohm was recommend as well, I can second that. Beyer makes a nice comfy headphone with good sound quality. I use my full size cans portably [the beyers are full size so they are not the smallest] but here's what's nice about Beyer Headphones... they are TOUGH AS NAILS, so I'm confident you could chug that thing around in a small bag and it would be fine. So if your ok with the slighty larger DT 770 80 ohm I think it would suite your needs well! 

Thanks for your advises, i am certainly willing to buy pre-owned headphones. I will check them out!

Oct 16, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #9 of 9
I would look at Amperior and Yamaha Pro 400 or 500 if you want to go without an amp. Also consider Sennheiser 280. K550. I've written a lot about them in old threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back