Entry-level optical DAC? Help!
Dec 20, 2008 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

oogabooga

500+ Head-Fier
So I'm considering getting a DAC to connect between my Macbook Pro and my XM5 and I want to use the Macbook's optical out, as I've had a number of USB problems recently and I've read that the optical line might be a little cleaner. I have two major criteria - price (hopefully under $200) and ability to buy in Canada (I HATE dealing with Customs).

I'm considering the following:
Super Pro 707 ~$130
E-MU 0404 ~$230
Beresford TC-7510 ~$100+ used?
Spitfire ~$270
HR Micro DAC (hopefully used from Canada) ~$350+ used?
A Zero, if anyone knows where to buy one in Canada.

Does anyone have some thoughts to share on these DACs, and if any are particularly good/bad? Any other optical-in DACs that I've missed? Would I be better off using line out to the XM5, or the built-in headphone amp in the case of the E-MU/Zero? Is the ability to listen at 24/96 or upsampling to 24/192 really that important cf 16/44.1 for most FLAC/MP3s?

Thanks!

Dec 20, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #3 of 10
Bear in mind the os-level volume control is set to maximum and is unchangeable with the optical out on OSX - if you used that before.

Looking over your problems - I wouldn't be surprised if it was the XM5 at fault - OSX generally handles driverless usb audio devices fine.

Have you tried a new cable or the XM5 on other computers to isolate the problem?

Dec 20, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #4 of 10
Yeah the lack of OS-level control is frustrating, but if I have a physical dial then it's all good!

I'm currently trying a different port on the same computer - next stop is to try a PC or something. I'm still interested in optical though, as I've read a number of reviews indicating S/PDIF is slightly clearer than USB... and then I'd have zero USB problems
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #5 of 10
have you made a decision yet? I'm interested to know, as I'm in the market for a reasonably priced DAC as well.

Dec 31, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #6 of 10
No, although I've had the chance to demo an 0404 USB and an Apogee Mini-Dac. My novice ears could not really tell a difference, but I could tell a difference over the built-in DAC of my XM5, which seems a bit "rougher". My wallet would tell the difference as the 0404 is $250 CAD and the Apogee over $700!

I'm hoping to try (and possibly buy) a Beresford later this week and will report back.

Dec 31, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #7 of 10
The zero would be purchased online and come from china. They ship to the states so I'm assuming they also ship to Canada. Also, not saying this is going to be your best choice since nobody has heard it yet, but you might want to check this out too:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/des...d-have-385759/

BTW, I have a zero and it's a huge jump over onboard (as expected). Haven't compared to the other ones you speak of though =\

Dec 31, 2008 at 9:54 AM Post #8 of 10
I am a big fan of the Beresford, especially if you need multiple inputs and outputs. Four inputs may be a bit overkill, but having two outputs is extremely useful if you want to connect a headphone amp and speakers simultaneously (without having to use low-quality y-adapters, or shell out the money for decent y-adapters). It has a decent built-in amp, which is plenty good to hold you over until you get a dedicated amp, though I haven't heard the XM5 so I can't compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back