Entry Level IEM
Apr 1, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #17 of 23
I would say the choice is between SF3, um1 and maybe d-jays. Faced with the same choice when I bought my first IEMs, I went for the um1 for the sound, build, looks and comfort. SF3's larger barrels don't fit my ears too well and the stick out look is pretty dorky.

Apr 1, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #18 of 23
I just received my pair of UM1's as my first IEM's. I can say that the quality of the earphones (build, case, wires) is topnotch, and the comfort is unbelievable. Vocals sound really amazing, and there is a great range of sound. I can actually make out different sounding Toms and snares. The only thing I'm a little disappointed is that it sort of lacks "oomph." I'm not experienced enough to know what is lacking, but I know I'm not getting a whole lot of feeling from songs I normally would. Still, I can't complain, seeing as how you were more interested in Mids and Highs, and quality these might be right for you.

Apr 1, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by _M2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you really need isolation? How about picking up a cheapy iem for the road and pk1 or pk2 for anything else?
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/member.php?u=16310
im not sure why no one else seems to recommend the pk1s, but looking at kramer's headphone list, seems very tempting considering he enjoys the pk1s as much as the HF1s.....

If you insist on low-cost, the Creative EP630 is actually an excellent choice.
etysmile.gif
Noise isolation is actually very good, and the sound quality belies its US$30 retail price. To get any better for an in-ear headphone will require something in the US$100 range at bare minimum (e.g., Shure E2c or its successor model).

Apr 4, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #23 of 23
Based on your requirements I would choose Er6i. I've owned Er6i, Shure E4c, and Super.Fi 3, and Er6i was by far my favorite. Let me be candid here. With these lower end IEM's you have to use EQ. None of these are going to sound like an HD650 or RS-1 out of an ipod. So with that in mind, it comes down to price, isloation and how much EQ will be required.

Super.Fi 3 was all midrange. No treble, no bass. Comfort was poor, isolation was only decent, so it just wasn't worth it to me. E4c had a good midrange, but again, the highs were lacking and the bass was poor. Isolation was decent, and it came with a lot of tips, but the price was high for the sound. Er6i has a great midrange and highs. Sure it lacks bass, but you can EQ that in. Isolation is great, and it is compatible with Shure tips in case you want to use the new black foam ones, or the old yellow foam, or the soft-flex tips.

In summary, I could enjoy either the E4c or Er6i with EQ. Tips on them can be used interchangably. Both come with a case. Er6i costs a whole lot less and requires less EQ to sound right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back