Entry level home audio, in need of an amp
Jun 20, 2018 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

LaDolceVita

Head-Fier
Hello!

I have an Onkyo C-7030 CD player and I got a pair of Pioneer SP-BS22 bookshelf speakers and a PioneerSP-C22 center channel speaker. I'm looking for an amp (or receiver) that I can use with this setup. I would also connect the speakers to my TV and down the road I will get more components (such as floor standing speakers and subwoofer). I've been searching the forums with no luck. Any guidelines and/or recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Budget: Preferably under $200 but I'm flexible if it's an amp I can use when I upgrade my setup.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 8
If you want to use a center speaker then your looking for a surround sound amp. You might be better off getting a AVR as your budget probably is limited for a amp that will do that and you will also need a dac that will send the appropriate signal to it. There are lots of stuff out there though that might do what you want for the price but still would think a nice AVR could be had for cheap. Craigslist has always a lot of them give it a look if you don’t mind used.

Jun 20, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 8
As it's going to involve a TV and a 5.1 speaker setup, a A/V receiver makes the most sense.

Check out Craigslist for a good deal on something used.
Check the websites Slickdeals and Techbargins, for stuff on sale.
The websites AVSforum and AVforum would be good places to ask questions like this.

There is accessories4less, they sell refurbs.
https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...eivers/1.html?&r=5b2a3663&store_price[]=0-241

Jun 20, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 8
If you want to use a center speaker then your looking for a surround sound amp. You might be better off getting a AVR as your budget probably is limited for a amp that will do that and you will also need a dac that will send the appropriate signal to it. There are lots of stuff out there though that might do what you want for the price but still would think a nice AVR could be had for cheap. Craigslist has always a lot of them give it a look if you don’t mind used.

Thanks for your reply! Are there any specific brands/models I should look at? Besides the speaker cables, what else would I need to make it work?

Jun 20, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 8
As it's going to involve a TV and a 5.1 speaker setup, a A/V receiver makes the most sense.

Check out Craigslist for a good deal on something used.
Check the websites Slickdeals and Techbargins, for stuff on sale.
The websites AVSforum and AVforum would be good places to ask questions like this.

There is accessories4less, they sell refurbs.
https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...eivers/1.html?&r=5b2a3663&store_price[]=0-241

Thank you for the link, I'll take a look. I don't mind used at all if it's in good condition.

Jun 20, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #6 of 8
Well looking at your CD player you will need a optical cable or coaxial to get surround sound. As for model don’t know just a few brands that I have had good luck with are Denon and Harman Kardon.
Edit: I might have to take that back on the CD player if it doesn’t do disk that are encoded for surround sound then the AVR would emulate it so straight rca would work. Just looked the player doesn’t do surround audio on it’s own .

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #8 of 8
Thank you for the link, I'll take a look. I don't mind used at all if it's in good condition.
Between my last post and now, I ordered the Yamaha RX-A760 A/V receiver, total shipped to door, $333.

I just ordered a Yamaha RX-A760 ($333) from Accessories4less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back