Entry Level Headphones
Dec 9, 2006 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

jazzz

New Head-Fier
Hi eveyone. I'm looking for some advice as to what headphones I should get. I'm completely new to high end audio, having listened only through my iPod headphones. I don't want earphones or canalphones. My budget is only about $100
redface.gif
I hear that the Sennheiser HD580's are great, if it's worth it I'm willing to spend a little extra. I listen to a wide variety of music, no metal/extreme hardcore, and a lot of jazz. Most of my music is in a high bitrate, many of the are FLAC/Lossless. I'll be listening through an iPod.

Can I get some reccomendations? This forum seems like THE place to talk about headphones.
580smile.gif

Dec 9, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #2 of 32
The HD580s are a steal.....if your genres are jazz and accoustic, the HD580s are perfect for them (it does classical extremely well too). It can be driven by an ipod, but sounds better on an amp. One that doesn't cost too much is the Little Dot Micro (easy to find on ebay).

There are some other headphones to consider if you're more into heavier rock....the HD595 is better as an all rounder for rock, but the 580 outshines it for jazz and accoustic.

Dec 9, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 32
Sure... unamped from ipod...

sporta/porta-pro
KSC75
UR40
Pro35A (radio shack)
JVC HA-FX33B
MDRV6
SR60
MS1
SR80
MDR-EX90

I like the HD580 for certain kinds of music, but I wouldnt recommend it straight out of any MP3 player.

Dec 9, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #5 of 32
For $100 it would be really hard to beat MS-1's. but I also think the HD-580's are great if you can find them for that price.

I know that MS-1's can be bought brand new delivered for $100, HD-580's you'd have to go the used route.

HD-580's would be a LITTLE better for classical if you're into that, but the MS-1's are pretty nice even there.

Dec 9, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #6 of 32
oops, just read the "willing to spend little extra" bit... sorry, but then as Davesrose said, u wud need an amp.

If u are gonna be listenin straight from an ipod, its not gonna work very well though. Think u shud narrow down requirements a little more.

Closed vs open
Comfort
Sound without amp
Signature u prefer (forward or laidback)
Bass requirements

It will be much easier to choose a headphone when u can ask yourself such questions and then search accordingly.

Dec 9, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #10 of 32
Thanks for the replies. When I saw the price on Amazon for the HD580's I didn't know they were a discounted price. Should I jump on this? Or are the MS-1's better than the HD580's unamplified?

Dec 9, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #11 of 32
IMHO, the 580s are great for jazz......while they would sound better amped, they should still sound good unamped. For jazz that is. Faster paced rock definitely would need an amp to open up(alternative it might still be nice)

Dec 9, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #12 of 32
I too think that the HD-580's are great cans, and that is a great price for them.

But if you're certain you won't have an amp for the foreseeable future I think you'll be better off with the MS-1's. They are simply more efficient than the HD-580's, easier to drive without an amp.

Dec 9, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure... unamped from ipod...

sporta/porta-pro
KSC75
UR40
Pro35A (radio shack)
JVC HA-FX33B
MDRV6
SR60
MS1
SR80
MDR-EX90

I like the HD580 for certain kinds of music, but I wouldnt recommend it straight out of any MP3 player.

I would take the Porta/SportaPro out of there...
Same with the UR40's...

Put in the K81DJ's...
PX100's...
HP460's...
SHL9500's...

Just to let you guys know that the SHL9500's sound isn't on par with the K81DJ or the HP460's... But the sound is still way above for the price...

I think I've said enough...

Dec 9, 2006 at 12:43 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My budget is only about $100
redface.gif
I hear that the Sennheiser HD580's are great, if it's worth it I'm willing to spend a little extra. I listen to a wide variety of music, no metal/extreme hardcore, and a lot of jazz. Most of my music is in a high bitrate, many of the are FLAC/Lossless. I'll be listening through an iPod.

Looking at your choices in music; the HD580s look like the perfect choice. But yup! They need an amp.

The MS-1 is a very close second in the music arena since they do great from the less exciting forms of rock, right on through to light classical. And they don't really need an amp.

If you happen to have an old stereo or HT amp lying around gathering dust.....
blink.gif

Dec 9, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #15 of 32
Yea I don't plan on getting an amp anytime soon. I'm pretty set on the MS1, should I just order it from the Alessandro website?

Edit- And what is the 'mini plug adapter'?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back