Entry-level headphones, need first time help with models and a couple questions.
Sep 28, 2013 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Cronnix

New Head-Fier
Hi all. I'm out for budget headphones that I'd use mainly for music with occasional gaming. I've been browsing various reviews and guides and ended up with those four models:

1. Audio Technica ATH-M50
  2. KRK KNS-8400
  3. Sennheiser HD449
  4. Sony MDR-7506

I am curious if you can suggest which one would suit me best based on my preferences, as well as possibly suggest cheaper alternatives to 8400/M50 (I'm after full/half-sized, closed). I also have a question if 8400 requires an amp for good sound, and if Behringer - MA400 Micromon would be enough (basically only one I can afford, will it even make a difference?). The budget is max $200, and as I live in Sweden all the electronics are bit more expensive here. The phones will be plugged straight into the PC motherboard or in the above-mentioned amp, alternatively into cellphone. I mostly listen to gaming music, epic trailer music (like two steps from hell), rock, metal, folk, bit of techno and lately some "relaxing" and calm music. I appreciate decent bass but nothing over the top. Would be a great bonus if they had a mic but not a deal breaker. 

Thanks!

Sep 28, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 8
Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro), here in the USA they sell for $50
Superlux HD-681 EVO, 27 Euros
Or Superlux HD681, 23 euros and AKG Velour ear pads, $16 euros
Thomann in Europe sells Superlux

Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, low cost and decent.

Sep 29, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #3 of 8
  Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro), here in the USA they sell for $50
Superlux HD-681 EVO, 27 Euros
Or Superlux HD681, 23 euros and AKG Velour ear pads, $16 euros
Thomann in Europe sells Superlux

Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, low cost and decent.

Hey, thanks for the tips! EVO seems like a good deal. Would the soundcard negate need for an amp? 

Sep 29, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #4 of 8
You might want to consider Samson SR850. It's semi-open but open and semi-open are better choices for gaming. They're basically the same headphones as Superlux HD681 with a bit different design. I got them off of eBay for $50 and it's the best thing you can get for that money. People have been comparing them to ATH M50 in terms of sound quality though I have not tried M50. The sound is neutral and the soundstage is big. Some people find highs a bit harsh but that's easily EQ-able. I've been gaming with them for quiet a bit of time at a pretty high competitive level and you can easily distinguish footsteps directions in FPS games. Also consider AKG k240 velour pads.

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #7 of 8
  Hey, thanks for the tips! EVO seems like a good deal. Would the sound card negate need for an amp? 

The Xonar DG comes with a basic headphone amplifier, good for headphones up to 150-Ohm.
Superlux HD-681 EVO & Samson SR-850 (made by Superlux) are only 32-Ohm.

Sep 29, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks everyone for suggestions! I've dropped by a store and stumbled upon Sony XB800, the sound seemed rather impressive but after reading reviews online Im gonna go back and test them with some hightone rich music. Gonna see if I can find AKG k240 to test too! Don't really want something too bulky (Sony MDR-V55 seems to be perfect size) but it might be worth it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back