Entry level headphones for around $200
Dec 24, 2010 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

zestybeans

New Head-Fier

I'm looking for a decent pair of closed full-sized cans for around $200 and a decent amp to accompany it (not sure how much to expect to spend on it). I'd like to eventually purchase an amp as well (assuming it will benefit the headphones I purchase) so any suggests will be greatly appreciated for both. I listen to mostly electronic music (ambient, dubstep, electro, house) as well as the occasional indie rock or folk track. They will be used almost entirely at home so looks and size do not matter. The audio source will be my computer's on-board sound card exclusively. I will be using them for long periods of time and very often so durability and comfort are also important. 

Thank you for your time

Dec 24, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 3
You might want to consider the M50's ($100 more or less) and either the Nuforce uDac2 ($130 more or less) or Fiio E7 ($100)

The uDac2 is solely a Dac that will improve your computer's audio source

The E7 on the other hand can either function as an amp or a dac.

The M50's are comfortable most of the time. Sometimes, my ears get itchy and so i have to either take the headphones off for a bit  

Dec 24, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 3
For electronic music, you'd probably want a headphone that's more bassy, right? It's preference, but that's kinda the general opinion when it comes to electronic/hiphop, a little depending on what in these genres you listen to.

Anyway, the Beyerdynamics DT-770s and DT-990s are generally described as bassy headphones. I don't have them myself, but I'm planning to buy either. But before doing anything, read this massive comparision between all three headphones in the series (770,880,990):
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back