Entry-level DAC/Amp
Jan 29, 2009 at 9:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

senn_liu

Head-Fier
Yes, this is my first ever post on head-fi. Been lurking for the longest time, but decided that I really have to post, to ask this perpetual question:

What is the best DAC/Amp I can get for around US$300?

I don't need it to be portable, although that is a plus factor. So far, I've shortlisted these few, and want to choose one out of the three (not looking for more options):

1) Audio-gd Compass (about US$300 shipped to singapore)
2) Ibasso D10 (about US$280 shipped to singapore)
3) RSA Predator (US$340 used, local seller so no shipping necessary)

I understand that the first two are very new, so perhaps not many would have listened to them, but I'm more curious about how the Predator (usually US$500 shipped) compares in terms of SQ with US$300 desktop/home DAC/Amps. Another way to look at it is, does the Predator perform like [$300 DAC/Amp and $200 portability]?

Oh, and I will be using AKG K701s with my new purchase, and I listen to many many genres. I just want something that is an all-rounder.

Thanks,
Andrew

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 5
hey there, first of all i wanna apologise for double-posting, but i wasn't sure whether this should go under portable or desktop amps, so i posted in both sub-forums to improve my chances of replies.

i have read most of the major dac/amp/portable threads. i understand the reasoning that i shouldn't really consider portables if i don't need that aspect. however, it seems with all the raving about the rsa predator and pico, that they might very well have equal or better SQ performance as compared to, say, a $300 desktop dac/amp. that's why i am stuck, because i have no clue how they match up (e.g. predator vs. modded zero or audio-gd compass etc)

if the predator (whih i can get used for $340) has equal or better sq performance as compared to say the compass, then it would be a great deal as i am getting equal sq, at same price, but with the bonus of portability.

Jan 30, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by senn_liu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pretty much made a decision. thread can be closed. thanks.

That isn't quite how it works, but never mind.

Don't keep us in suspense....

What did you go for?

Steven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back