Entry level Closed Cans in the UK
Jan 21, 2014 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

vaxen

New Head-Fier
Hi, my cheapo plantronics headset broke, only one side works. I'm looking for a new headphone+mic combo. I don't use the headphone a lot, only when I'm making a phone call or watching movies and listening to music at night when the wife is asleep. I mostly listen to my M-Audio Av40 on my desktop. I listen to all sorts of music. I've did some searching and narrow down a few headphones, but can't decided which. Please help. I'm planning to pair it with a zalman mic, which is cheap and cheerful. My budget is around £100-£130 Here is the list.

1)  Audio Technica M50 £109 (amazon)
2) BRAINWAVZ HM5 £72.50 (amazon)
3) Ultrasone HFI-580 £119 (amazon)
4) Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO 80ohm £131 (amazon)

Currently I'm leaning to HM5 because its cheap and add £10 for zalman mic, I'm good to go. Only grips I have is that I don't like the look and its huge. Do you guys have other recommendations? Should I go for it. Thanks.

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #5 of 15
AKG K612 pro is by far the best you'll find for £120 if you can use open cans.

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #9 of 15
Sorry, that wasn't very subtle was it
wink.gif

They are very good headphones though!

Jan 24, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #10 of 15
AKG K550 are worth looking at.

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #11 of 15
  Sorry, that wasn't very subtle was it
wink.gif

They are very good headphones though!

Out of interest why are you selling them if you like them so much? Do you just have no use for them in your current headphone collection?

I am considering buying the CALs. How would you describe the sound? Are they more bass-focused, or treble focused? Would you call them aggressive or laid back cans?

Thanks. 

Jan 24, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #12 of 15
Out of interest why are you selling them if you like them so much? Do you just have no use for them in your current headphone collection?

I am considering buying the CALs. How would you describe the sound? Are they more bass-focused, or treble focused? Would you call them aggressive or laid back cans?

Thanks. 

You're spot on ... They're a very good pair of headphones, it's just that I have some even better pairs in my collection. As such, I never get around to listening to them ... I've decided to sell off the gear I don't use regularly, rather than have it sitting in a drawer!

They have a slightly 'v' shaped sound - mild emphasis on both bass and highs - and are more 'fun' sounding than laid back. Not particularly aggressive, though. Good for most types of music, really. Also very comfortable to wear! This is one of the best reviews I've read of them: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #13 of 15
I just tested out the K550 at superfi, the bass is really soft and generally sounds soft (I was holding the headphone tight to my ears, I heard that fitting is an issue). The shop assisant tested it on his phone. He then ask me to test sen momentums (on ear version). It was boom boom boom and highs are very bright. I even asked him if it was the same song that he was playing with the k550. Eventhough the K550 was on sale, from £250 to £124, I don't think I'll go for it. I'm gonna order the beyer dt770 to try out.

Mar 23, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #14 of 15
For cans like the K550, you have to test them extensively with your own song list and some time for you to digest it. For the £109 I paid for it on amazon, they are definitely very much worth it. The detail and accuracy ... it's worth losing a bit of in-ur-face bass for the clarity and the revealing nature of these cans (its bass is actually very accurate and solid, just not overwhelming). If you had an hour to try the K550 and compare it with the other cans, I'm sure you'll know what I mean. I compared them to the M50's, Alessandro MS1i, and Denon 1100. They lack the bass that any of the other headphones have, but none of them can even compare in the detail, sound separation and soundstage (even more so than the MS1i which are open cans ...). I especially enjoy the K550 with acoustic songs or songs that have great vocals. It's amazing! Totally recommend the K550! 

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #15 of 15
If it turns out you don't like dt770 check out digitech pro monitors. It's same as hm5 but a lot cheaper. Only £27.25. Downside is that it ships from australia. If I recall shipping fee is around 8£ 

http://jaycar.co.uk/productView.asp?ID=AA2065&w=headphones&form=KEYWORD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back