Entry Level CIEM?
Dec 23, 2017 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ColdWolfSong

Head-Fier
So for as long as I've been in this community, I've lusted after a pair of Custom In-ears. I always thought they'd be so amazing, but I've never bitten the bullet and gotten the impressions. Instead, I've tried quite a few UIEMs. MEE Audio Pinnacle P1, JVC FW01, Noble Audio Trident, and a few lesser models. I've been considering the Alclair Reference, Alclair Dual, UE 4 Pro, Cleartune CTM-200, and 1964 Audio A2e. All of these are dual driver CIEMs in the 400 dollar price range (excluding the Alclair Reference, which is 3 drivers).

But my issue here is that I don't know if I'm going to be getting the audio quality I'm looking for at that price. It seems that CIEMs are inherently more expensive than UIEMs, so a 200 dollar UIEM would be 400 in custom. A 600 dollar UIEM, 800 dollars in custom. Therefore if I spend 400 dollars on a CIEM, it's likely that I'll be getting sound quality that's lesser than UIEMs I already have or have heard. I'm not entirely certain that I want to spend 400 + dollars on just the comfort and cool factor. I read a review that said the UE 4 Pro was "80 percent of what the UE reference remastered is" but that seems hard to believe. I'm quite tempted to skip the CIEMs and just get an HD 600 plus an amp. After having wasted quite a bit of money on other mid-fi offerings that I'm not really happy with, I just want the audio journey to end for awhile so I can get back to enjoying the music.

Does anybody have any thoughts on what I can except from entry level CIEMs, including those I listed? If you're going to recommend other ones, note that the maker has to be in the US and my budget is not higher than 400 USD.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 6
All of the CIEMs I listed in my post are 399 or under.

My bad, didn't see it earlier.
Either way, CIEM aren't all hyped up as you probably think they are. I felt the same way as you, until I did em. They have their ups and downs but if you ask me, I'd stick to headphones.

Dec 24, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #5 of 6
Also put the Inearz P350 in your list.

For a beginner CIEM I would go with the P350 or the Alclair Reference. Both of which I have owned. The P350 is smooth and warm with excellent coherency.

The Reference monitors are a little more neutral but still a little on the warmer sound with a bit better clarity and separation.

Either will be excellent and it's just a matter of taste.

If the CTM-200 are anything like their VS-2 universal model, then they will be excellent but a bit brighter than the two above. A more mid centric signature with accurate bass and nicely extended highs. Very good for a dual driver model, but not for those who prefer a warmer sound signature.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #6 of 6
You need to add the ear impression cost and shipping cost, sellers usually don't include shipping cost in their advertising.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back