Entry into high end... stax vs others
May 4, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #46 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, yea, but i like things to look good. i know its the placeabo affect, but i enjoy them more if they look good. im not a big fan of plastic. plus i like being different. i dont want the same old same old.

believe me it won't be "same old, same old"
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #47 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by HDen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
believe me it won't be "same old, same old"
biggrin.gif

How many headphones look like Stax?

Having Stax makes you different.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #48 of 64
but how many stax look like stax? i just like being a bit diff. might make some mods myself, was thinking of either putting red lines on the plastic grill, or something like that. will see when i actually get it in the future.

May 4, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #49 of 64
Quote:

but how many stax look like stax? i just like being a bit diff. might make some mods myself, was thinking of either putting red lines on the plastic grill, or something like that. will see when i actually get it in the future.

Go ahead, personalize it!

But if you, in any way, cover the openings on the grill more than it already is, the sound will change for the worse.

Just putting your hand six inches from the driver throws some backwash into the sound.

It's because Stax earspeakers are di-polar (I think thats the word), which means they emit sound from both sides of the driver.

They don't leak all that much worse than a Grado though,

May 4, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #51 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remove the damping material and get back to me...
wink.gif

I thought that would make them brighter, and they are bright enough - please, expand on the notion of removing the dampening material, with what all of the audible changes would be?

May 4, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #52 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by shomie911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just putting your hand six inches from the driver throws some backwash into the sound.

Same thing happens with Grados- and I suspect all open back designs.

May 5, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #53 of 64
I don't know gautam, coloring a stax will make it lose value. Anyway, Is it just me? Or am I blind if I find stax to be amongst the best looking cans in the market today. the 303 and 404s have an amazing look to them. I would even rate the omegas second in looks then the closed ones last but still prefer them to the looks of say... senn 595s or akg k701s

The stax look so avante garde

May 5, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #54 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by shomie911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Electrostatic headphones have so much more detail.

I was listening to a recording at CanJam that I was very familiar with and the first 5 seconds of the song had always been silence with my DT880s and all the other headphones I listened to (Excluding the R10).

When I was listening to both the SRS-2050II and to an even larger extent, the SRS-4040II, I could actually hear the guitarist shift in his chair and the creaking noise the chair made. I could hear that the chair was made out of wood....with headphones.

That's amazing.

Luckily I have small ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

you've convinced me to sell my dt880, sell my SOHA kit that im too lazy to build, and just get stax.

May 5, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #55 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you've convinced me to sell my dt880, sell my SOHA kit that im too lazy to build, and just get stax.

You won't be disapointed, the DT880s are great, they get even better with amping (tried them with an Opera, the top of the line WooAudio, and various others) but they never got to the point where I stopped listening to the equipment and started listening to the music.

It just made it so easy to get lost in the music, sorry if anyone was waiting for the SR-404s on Saturday, I closed my eyes and 8 tracks went by before I knew it.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #56 of 64
I might be a great candidate for stat cans because all cans I've heard so far have had problems similar to dynamic speakers vs maggies for example that make me get tired of them. The ad2000s are my favorite among the few dynamic cans Ive bought through the years but they still lack that lightness I remember my koss esp950s having. The sound of the 950s just sort of flowed. I only sold them at the time because hd580s just got great reviews on stereophile and needed the funds to try them along with headrooms amp. Boy was I dissapointed with the senns. very veiled against the esp950.

May 5, 2008 at 10:23 AM Post #58 of 64
but surely, if they look good, there would be no change to the price (ie against normal old headphones). and i doubt ill sell anyway. i don't sell stuff, i don't buy old stuff (but that may be because i have not really started spending a lot on headphones).

May 12, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #59 of 64
Quote:

but surely, if they look good, there would be no change to the price (ie against normal old headphones). and i doubt ill sell anyway. i don't sell stuff, i don't buy old stuff (but that may be because i have not really started spending a lot on headphones).

if they look good, sure they wont lose value, may even increase! but i doubt that people into STAX gear would want their stuff altered... especially at such steep costs to begin with! i certainly would like to see a "modded" stax anyways... just remember: eye of the beholder!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back