Entry audiophile vinyl setup?
Oct 10, 2013 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Beef Anus

New Head-Fier
Like the title says, I want to know some options for entry turntables that aren't USB or too expensive.

Do I need a pre-amp? I have no idea what it does but I have heard that with a vinyl setup you need a turntable,pre-amp, and amp.

Also would the Schiit Magni work? Using Fidelio X1's.

(thanks future responses)

Oct 12, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 5
What's your budget?  Do you plan to use it for anything other than listening to records?

Traditionally (now vintage) receivers all had phono inputs with built-in pre-amps.  Today only a few receivers have this feature.  Because of that many turntables made today, especially those made for the consumer market, have a built-in pre-amp that you can turn on or off.  This (with the pre-amp turned on) allows you to connect the turntable to a receiver or amp by way of a "regular" RCA input (e.g. one marked "CD" or "auxiliary").

If your turntable has the built-in preamp, it should work with the Magni and your cans.  However, I have not personally tried it and issue no guarantees.

Oct 15, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 5
What's your budget?  Do you plan to use it for anything other than listening to records?

Traditionally (now vintage) receivers all had phono inputs with built-in pre-amps.  Today only a few receivers have this feature.  Because of that many turntables made today, especially those made for the consumer market, have a built-in pre-amp that you can turn on or off.  This (with the pre-amp turned on) allows you to connect the turntable to a receiver or amp by way of a "regular" RCA input (e.g. one marked "CD" or "auxiliary").

If your turntable has the built-in preamp, it should work with the Magni and your cans.  However, I have not personally tried it and issue no guarantees.

Sorry for the late response. My budget is $400. (I said no USB turntable because I read a thread where someone had a static issue with it but after seeing the audio technica pl120 I realized that wasn't the case.) I will just use it for listening to records. But for $200 the at lp120 seems pretty nice. (This turntable has a pre amp and analog to digital converter to connect to a pc, it can rip lossless and can scratch.) considering these features is it worth the $200 or can I get something significantly better for more. Once again would it work with my amp & headphones?

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 5
The Audio-Technica AT-LP120 is a good value for the money spent--but I can only speak to playing records with it.  Once you get much above it, you get into turntables that are made for either DJ's or audiophiles--not both.  I don't know much about the DJ tables, as it sacrilege in my world to scratch my records.  However, the audiophile turntables usually don't have built-in pre-amps.  They also tend to be much more delicate.

I'll add one more thing.  Often turntables sound less loud than other sources like CD's.  If even for that reason alone, it's best to test the turntable you are thinking about buying before you decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back