Entire Albums? ::sigh:: YUCK!
Aug 8, 2004 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Xeo

Head-Fier
Hey guys. I've got one question for you.

Why is it that so many people recommend good albums from an artist rather than tracks? I guess the attitude I have is rare, but in most cases, I only really like 1 or 2 tracks on an album, and really dislike all the others. Being fond of electronic music, the only artist I've ever come across who's album's I like in their entirety is Infected Mushroom, but that little piece of info is not really the important part of my post. So, that being stated, could you guys start recommending specific songs more often? I like to buy CD's sometimes, but if someone recommends a "great" album, It's a TREMENDOUS pain the arse to download 13 or 20 bad tracks before I possibly find a gem.

Do most of you guys REALLY enjoy whole albums? Am I just REALLY picky?

Aug 8, 2004 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 31
It depends on the album. I usually recommend single songs, if I don't like the entire album or find the other tracks a bit too obscure for a first time listener. However, I often like entire albums. Maybe that's because I buy albums that aren't just one MTV-hit and 10 crap songs. Actually I think that nowadays even the most mainstream artists are making more solid albums, as ie. in the 90s it was common to have 1-2 good songs and rest as total fillers.

Actually, there are many cases where one song just doesn't do justice for the album. You have to hear the entire album from start to finish to really appreciate it. Single songs are just small parts of the whole.

Aug 8, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 31
Depends on what kind of "artist" it is. There are plenty of crap artists that have that one "hit" song on it with the big MTV video and the rest of the album sucks. Then there are real musicians who produce not just entertaining songs but classic albums.

Also depends on the album. Some albums are conceived as entire pieces where all the tracks are inter-related. What's the point of having one song off Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon?

Aug 8, 2004 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeo
Hey guys. I've got one question for you.

Why is it that so many people recommend good albums from an artist rather than tracks? I guess the attitude I have is rare, but in most cases, I only really like 1 or 2 tracks on an album, and really dislike all the others. Being fond of electronic music, the only artist I've ever come across who's album's I like in their entirety is Infected Mushroom, but that little piece of info is not really the important part of my post. So, that being stated, could you guys start recommending specific songs more often? I like to buy CD's sometimes, but if someone recommends a "great" album, It's a TREMENDOUS pain the arse to download 13 or 20 bad tracks before I possibly find a gem.

Do most of you guys REALLY enjoy whole albums? Am I just REALLY picky?

I think technology has really ruined people's ability to sit down and enjoy an entire album without. Too many people these days are looking for #1 hits and radio, mtv and mp3's are all to blame (mp3 more than the other two). Finding great albums is all about taste and when people start threads about receiving rec's, they are taking a chance with their wallet if they blindly walk into a store and buy cds based on those rec's.

Aug 8, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Some albums are conceived as entire pieces where all the tracks are inter-related. What's the point of having one song off Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon?

Agree. There usually is a theme, idea, concept that runs throughout the entire album and helps unify it. I have been guilty of buying an album for one cut; however, when I return and listen to the entire album, I usually can derive a lot more enjoyment from the artist and album as a whole.

Aug 8, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 31
I generally have the opposite reaction to my albums. I, for the most part, like entire albums. I can only think of one album that I have in which I dont like every single song. Guess we're all different.

Aug 8, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #9 of 31
you really have to give the album a couple of good listen to have the songs grow on you. but you are correct in that it sucks to spend big bucks on albums when you only like a few songs on it. that's how i am with zepplin and stones. that's why i prefer to listen to music on my computer. but when you first get an album, you should give it a good listen a couple times through, instead of just focusing on that one song you purchased it for. another factor is it's hard to come by a good artist, that fits your taste. the songs on most albums vary in pace, rhythm, and style.

i think most people recommend an album because we like more than one or two songs on it. i never recommend an album if i only like two songs or so.

but i've gotten use to rating an album good if it has more than 3 songs i like on it.

Aug 8, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #10 of 31
I generally only download live music. Otherwise, I am buying cd's or vinyl. I almost always listen to an entire album all the way through. I find that there are very few cd's or albums that I have where there are songs I do not like to the point that I would skip them. I grew up with vinyl and as kids we would tend to listen to the entire album, both sides. My kids, on the other hand, buy individual songs that they like. I think that they miss out on many good songs that are not considered "hits".

Aug 8, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 31
I enjoy almost all my music all the way through. The artists I buy and enjoy rarley let me down.

Aug 8, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #12 of 31
If the whole album isn't worth listening to all the way through without skipping it isn't worth owning. That's why I don't have any american pop and RnB in my collection... (by collection I mean music I've paid for
rolleyes.gif
)

Aug 8, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #13 of 31
Actually, I agree with Xeo here. I think the best thing to give someone who wants artist recommendations aren't entire albums--instead you should direct them to your favorite songs by that artist. This is equivalent to showing someone choice works of poetry from a favorite poet instead of a whole book of their poetry. It doesn't take a genius to figure out which of these is the most efficient way to give someone a taste of that artist.

I say give them the choice cherries first, then they can see for themselves if they want to buy entire trees. Let us also not forget in this day of music streaming and legal downloads that there are no ethical problems with recommending only specific songs to each other.

I agree, though, some albums are complete works that cannot be split apart without losing a lot of their impact (for example, Sgt. Pepper, Abbey Road, Dark Side of the Moon) but this is because many of the songs on these albums (literally) bleed into each other and center on similar themes--hence their titles as concept albums. And, yes, an album does give you a glimpse of an artist at a certain point in their career and an album does function (ideally) as a complete work of art--for this reason listening music tracks separately (ie apart from the rest of the album) can cause them to lose some of their impact but let's be honest here; about 95% of the impact still remains (IMO).

I say we shouldn't force someone to buy an entire section of the forest when showing them a few of the choice trees will do. Besides, what else are you going to do when your favorite song by an artist is found on an album that is, besides that song, total crap?
tongue.gif

Aug 8, 2004 at 10:58 PM Post #14 of 31
I often times go to a concert, get a program pamplet, then time my entrance perfectly to hear just that one song. When it's finished I run to the exit so I don't have to hear anything else which could be unexpectedly enjoyable.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back