entering the world of...
Sep 13, 2007 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dimm0k

100+ Head-Fier
Recently I made a 75 ohm P -> S cable for my Etymotic ER4P and I would say that I've been paying a little more attention to the details of what I'm listening to. That said, I'm wondering if I'm beginning to experience other details or is there something wrong with my hearing/equipment. Some of the recent stuff I've been listening to I can hear the vocals more pronounced in one ear as if they recorded closer to one side than the other. I eliminated the 75 ohm cable by just plugging in directly, but still the same. I tried a second pair of ER4P and still the same. I can definitely hear instruments played in one ear and not the other and vice versa, which sounds like they were meant to be like that. Am I beginning to enter some level of "seeing" details? Is something wrong with my ears? Something wrong with my source (iPod)? Tired and imagining it all?

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #2 of 8
No, that's common, I have many CDs where the voices/instruments are placed at various locations. If you name the specific music people with experience to that music can help.

Even if it's one sided, you should typically hear the music instrument playing the left being played quieter on your right.

One technique I use is the switch channels. If a voice is right sided, and I switch the red-white and the voice goes on the left side, there's nothing wrong. But when the voice is still on the right side after the switch, it indicates hearing loss.

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dimm0k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is something wrong with my ears? Something wrong with my source (iPod)? Tired and imagining it all?

etysmile.gif
Silly. No, there's nothing wrong with your ears. You are just getting acustomed to a good quality IEM and training your ears to listen for the more subtle things. It's part of becoming a trained audiophile. The more details you will start to notice, the better equipment you will want to purchase.
orphsmile.gif

Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet!

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One technique I use is the switch channels. If a voice is right sided, and I switch the red-white and the voice goes on the left side, there's nothing wrong. But when the voice is still on the right side after the switch, it indicates hearing loss.

Interesting technique... how do you go about switching channels?

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks guys for the reassurance! I guess what got me worried is that I've had these IEMs for a while now and it wasn't until recently that I've heard these details. Then again for some reason or another I have been paying a little closer attention to the sounds.

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Interesting technique... how do you go about switching channels?

by putting the left driver in the right ear and the right one in the left
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 8
So simple! I actually did do that last night and it did switch to the other ear, but for some reason I was still unconvinced last night.

Sep 13, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

So simple! I actually did do that last night and it did switch to the other ear, but for some reason I was still unconvinced last night.

It just means there's nothing wrong with your ears
wink.gif
That should be greatest news if you're having concerns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back