Entering the Grado World - SR-60 Impressions
Feb 25, 2005 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

500+ Head-Fier
I guess I'll make my 100th post by contributing to the Grado lovefest that's been going on lately.
rs1smile.gif

I got my SR-60 with Senn 414 from another Head-Fi'er a week ago. I initially used the pads unmodded and wasn't impressed with the Grado sound. It was a bit too harsh and aggressive for my tastes.

Then I took my exacto knife and performed the quarter mod on the pads and suddenly they sounded much better. Clarity improved greatly and I feel that the harsh highs were toned down as well (or I might've just gotten used to the sound over time, not sure which).

I was expecting the Grados to be really uncomfortable to wear, but they're not that bad, at least with the Senn pads (don't have any other available). I wear the headband a bit forward than I normally would, so it doesn't really bother me (it would if I wore it in normal position though). I've only worn them for about 90 minutes at the most so far, and my main complaint is that the upper edge of my ears get a little sore from the pressure. They're not comfort kings, but they are certainly more comfortable than I was expecting -- though not anywhere near my A500 or HD555, of course.

I was also really surprised by how punchy the bass is on these things. Impressive slam. It's almost a bit too much at times. The description of these cans as aggressive is very accurate. It's an interesting change-of-pace from the more relaxed sound of the Senns. Surprisingly good for trance, and fun with rock, pop, and hip-hop. I wouldn't want to use them for softer music though.

Overall, I've become quite pleased with these cans after the quarter mod, and I find myself reaching for them more frequently over time. I'm already considering an upgrade to the MS-1, but I don't know if they're worth almost double the price that I paid for the Grados. I think I'm happy enough with the SR-60 to hold off the upgraditis for a little while.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back