Entech Question
Oct 7, 2007 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

jrosenth

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay,

I bought an Entech 245.5 from this thread. I received it and it isn't working. It is silent or makes loud pops when searching for a signal.

So here's my question. Am I doing something wrong? I tried a couple of different players and different coax inputs and cables and even the optical - but no avail. Is there something else I should try?

The seller is at this point saying that's it's used gear and was working when he sent it so it's on me and I should file a shipping claim. I don't think I buy that since it's dead on arrival.

In any case, I want to try and do everything to connect it right.

Is there a certain order of powering things on or searching for inputs? Anyone have any similar experiences and have a solution?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated before I send this thing back.

Thanks

Oct 7, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 55
Shipping can kill a dac. I would refund the $$ upon return of the dac to me if I was the seller. What is your source for this entech? If it is a PC the X-FI turns itself off after every reboot on mine. Oh, and I will get you your 7510 by Wed btw lol.

Oct 7, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 55
Pretty funny - looking forward to that 7510

If the money isn't refunded for the Entech I won't be real happy - I'd do that were I the seller (and file a shipping claim if it were really working when I shipped it - actually I've done some things I consider fairly unreasonable for buyers now that I think about it but pride myself on head-fi transactions) - but hopefully I'm just hooking this up wrong or something.

I'm using a dvd player (modded tosh) and a Sony CD player (older ES model).

The sony only has optical, the tosh only coax. I'm playing around trying to cycle it on and off in different orders but nothing seems to really make a difference. Only occasionally it starts popping and then eventually says data locked. But still not sound. I'm trying it with an original master amp, a meier amp, and even a tivoli radio but no dice.

Any ideas?

I have yet to open it up as the seller suggested and seem if a board fell off. Guess I should do that next

Oct 7, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 55
Open it. I had a dac that arrived with two screws bouncing around INSIDE the dac. Did not hurt the dac at all but still.

Oct 8, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 55
yup, open it up see if theres anything loose. I was going to buy that DAC, but now Im kinda glad I didnt
wink.gif

Oct 8, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #6 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Open it. I had a dac that arrived with two screws bouncing around INSIDE the dac. Did not hurt the dac at all but still.

I hope that was not the V2? Man I would feel pretty bad if it was.
frown.gif

Oct 8, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 55
no lol. and it was certainly not the sellers fault either.

Oct 8, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #8 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yup, open it up see if theres anything loose. I was going to buy that DAC, but now Im kinda glad I didnt
wink.gif

Ditto...I was seriously looking at it too. Have always wanted to try an Entech...seems to get some good praise here.

To the OP...sorry for the hassle and I hope everything works out for you!

Oct 8, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #9 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ditto...I was seriously looking at it too. Have always wanted to try an Entech...seems to get some good praise here.

To the OP...sorry for the hassle and I hope everything works out for you!

i think the one that the OP has is the only entech that oversamples
frown.gif

Oct 8, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #10 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay,

I bought an Entech 245.5 from this thread. I received it and it isn't working. It is silent or makes loud pops when searching for a signal.

So here's my question. Am I doing something wrong? I tried a couple of different players and different coax inputs and cables and even the optical - but no avail. Is there something else I should try?

The seller is at this point saying that's it's used gear and was working when he sent it so it's on me and I should file a shipping claim. I don't think I buy that since it's dead on arrival.

In any case, I want to try and do everything to connect it right.

Is there a certain order of powering things on or searching for inputs? Anyone have any similar experiences and have a solution?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated before I send this thing back.

Thanks

Posting lies is no way to get my help! I told you to look inside and see if the 24/96 board fell out of the socket, and if it looked ok and still did not work, I'd take a look at it.

Now you see fit to play the victim and post falsely of what happend.

I've never rip off anyone! and I hooked up the dac an hour before I shipped it and it worked great.

You seem a little dishonest when I read your post and you tell all half truths.
mad.gif

Here's a copy of the sent reply :

Thats strange, as I hooked it up before I shipped it and it worked fine?
I went optical out of my PC, how are you hooking it up?(coax or optical?).

It may have been dropped on the trip over? look inside and see if the 24/96 board fell out of its socket.
If it looks ok, you could send it back and I'll take a look. There's no guaranty with used gear and I know
it was working when shipped, but I'll look for a problem and try to fix it, or you could make a claim with FedEx.

Let me know what you find, Ben.

Oct 8, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #11 of 55
Was it shipped insured for the $ amount? I would file a claim with the shipper, damaged in transit. At this point its the sellers word against yours, and shipping damage does seem a logical culprit.

The entech DACs are pretty straight forward, just plug the thing in and it should auto-detect and lock on to the digital stream. AFAIK, there is no reset button or reboot necessary.

Do you have a known good source? I have D335 that has an intermittent optical output.

Oct 8, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #13 of 55
FYI to all those interested in these DACs, I've seen two on ebay recently. One sold for $112 and the other was a buy-it-now for $99 and no takers! I would have, but was seduced by more expensive gear...
rolleyes.gif

Oct 8, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #14 of 55
Well at least you got the one with regular hex screws (which is weird because Entech usually have the T10 screws, so I wonder what happened to the original ones), but anyway, take a look inside, maybe post a pic of the inside here and let us take a look too.

Oct 8, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #15 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by insidiousness /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Posting lies is no way to get my help!

Hey Ben,

I'm not lying or at least not trying to. Maybe I just don't understand. If that's the case, you have my apologies. But I seemed to understand from those pms that I would be responsible or need to file a shipping claim even if it is DOA or I'm receiving it. I'll pm you again.

In any case, I'm really hoping that I'm just hooking it up wrong. Or that something is loose inside.

I'm gathering that it is probably not a connection problem - I was kind of hoping that someone would say - hey you dumb $^& just make sure to turn on the source after it's plugged in and it will work perfectly. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

It is really interested in that I think I can see some patterns - like the locking on the stream like Kramer said above. It won't make a sound but when I hit the phase button it will start searching, then will make several loud pops then it says data locked and starts blinking like it's got a signal but still no sound. Don't know if that means anything to anyone.

I've tried the sources with a Shek dac and they work fine. I've been playing with it tonight in every combination even with different cables and nothing seems to trip it so I'm now really hoping that it's something loose inside.

I'm not a real mod type guy so I don't want to damage anything but I think I can give it a shot.

-

Edit - apparently this has little hex screws - and of course I don't have a hex key
rolleyes.gif

Okay - off to the store tomorrow to try and get something to open it up with

I'll definitely post a pict of that could help you guys who know what you're doing trouble shoot it!

Actually now that I'm thinking about it, I could always use a web cam with a mike to show folks exactly what is going on with it (what's it's doing and sounds like, etc.) if it still isn't working after I open it up - maybe I could try an make a little video if that would help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back