Enquiry
Jul 19, 2002 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

seededmustard

New Head-Fier
Excuse me for being ignorant but....

I am rather new to the 'audiophile' scene, so I just want to ask what headphone amps do, they seam somewhat confusing. Just what is their purpose and how do they do what they do.

Please do not trash me. We all have to start somewhere.

^_^

Jul 19, 2002 at 9:22 AM Post #3 of 15
My brother is in the UK and he brings many good things back home for my village like this pentium 160mhz computer. Today, every family has a radio and we listen to many english programs , bbc and national public radio in the US.

Jul 20, 2002 at 5:03 AM Post #4 of 15
Hi,

An headamp basically does what it sounds like - it amplifies the signal. There are 2 types of amp: tube state and solid state.

In the case of tube amps, the vacuum tubes is amplifying the signal and in the case of solid state, the transistor is amplifying the signal.

Besides the obvious, (giving you the ability to hear music much louder), headphone amps can do a lot more, they can reveal more, more detail, tighter bass, smoother vocals, etc. etc. Bigger soundstage,

Jul 21, 2002 at 6:03 AM Post #6 of 15
The way I usally explain it is that a headphone amp gives your headphones more stuff to work with. Just like you can't think well unless you have enough oxygen, most headphones don't *sound* good unless they have enough "juice". Of course, quantity isn't everything - if the amp degrades the signal too much while amplifying it... Headphones can't make a crappy signal sound good.

Jul 21, 2002 at 6:22 AM Post #7 of 15
Unfortunately, for some of your audio equipment ("5 mountain goats"), neither tubes nor transistors can help amplify their signal.
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2002 at 6:46 AM Post #8 of 15
Here's all you really need to know:

0010016003front.JPG

1,887 US Dollar = 8,918,528 Afghanistan Afghani = Many goats

Jul 21, 2002 at 6:51 AM Post #9 of 15
Hey, come on, enough with the Afghan jokes... Jeez. If they can get NPR, chances either they're very good at breeding semiconducting goats or they're not just a bunch of goatherds. The goats would probably quit after hearing Click and Clack too many times, anyway!

mmm... semiconducting goats... now THAT's portable computing... you just don't want to use them as laptops, that's all.
eek.gif

Jul 21, 2002 at 7:07 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Hey, come on, enough with the Afghan jokes... Jeez. If they can get NPR, chances either they're very good at breeding semiconducting goats or they're not just a bunch of goatherds. The goats would probably quit after hearing Click and Clack too many times, anyway!

mmm... semiconducting goats... now THAT's portable computing... you just don't want to use them as laptops, that's all.
eek.gif

that went right over my head....
confused.gif

anyway, a headphone amp will make the sound cleaner and sound much better then the amp that you get with say a portable cd player or radio.

Sorry, I just was questioning that someone would come on here that didnt actually live in afhganistan and say that they did. Sorry about that.

Jul 21, 2002 at 7:15 AM Post #11 of 15
*sighs*

I"m sure this poor guy is already used to dealing with this. Let me ask you this. India, one of the poorest countries in the world, poverty, yada yada, .

Let me ask you this. What are your impressions of Indians? Intelligent? smart? go to Yale? engineering school? Rich with english accents?

Nough of these profiles guys. Here's a quick quote from seededmustard regarding his occupation I had with him in a conversation via pm

Quote:

I have return to Afghan from UK after Taliban is gone. Now, life is quite normal but you are right as there is still many US soldier. But they are nice and they even share food with the children. In Afghan there is always fighting especially between the many warlords and at night time you can hear the bombs and guns but only sometimes now. I live in a small village outside Kabul, I only come back since April as the government wants the expats to help the country, especially foreign educated. I want to help my country.

It was a shock to come back on DC3 plane from pakistan into Kabul, you know there is no infrastructure without damage. But today our village has electricity from generators so I can use many electronics.

About the amplifiers, is one really worth having? What is a good one for cheap price and I can get over net? They only sell sony tape walkmans here.

Jul 21, 2002 at 8:45 AM Post #12 of 15
well jodokast, seededmustard must obviously have a similar sense of humor too, if you've seen his profile (head-fi, not racial).
biggrin.gif

I lived next to a street alley and believe me, I would consider those amorous cats 'audio equipment' too ....
evil_smiley.gif

but honestly, no offense was meant AT ALL. In fact we'd love to hear his story from seededmustard himself. Prove to us that we either are rude narrow-minded bigots or literal-thinking sense-of-humor-less tightwads. (joke) It's bound to be a lose-lose situation here, methinks.

PS. I'm not sure what you (jodokast) meant with the Indian analogy there. hmm?

Jul 22, 2002 at 1:58 PM Post #14 of 15
I guess i will not look for an amp at over 1000US dolar.

Although I must say that my audio equipment makes time go quickly whilst herding goats. however it also attracts unnecessary attention. Although today everyone listens to music but when the Taliban was in power music was forbidden so we enjoy what we have.

Jul 22, 2002 at 4:22 PM Post #15 of 15
So uhm... are you saying you need a portable/battery powered amp, then? For your uh... goat herding and whatnot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back