Enough space for a sound card here ?
Sep 4, 2011 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

befa

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi,

Well, the topic subject is pretty clear 
etysmile.gif
, here are the pictures :

Do you think a sound car would fit in here ? Is there a risk of interferences due to the proximity to the graphic card rad ?
(The card would be an Auzentech X-Fi Forte, which is low profile)

Thanks!

Sep 4, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 10
Isn't the X-Fi Forte PCI-E, looks like a PCI slot in the second and third pics. So you would be slotting it in between your Xfired Radeons, sandwich style. 

I think it would fit, mighty cramped as it is, only by listening you can determine if there would be interference. Since the card doesn't look like it's shielded.

I would worry more on the airflow for your radeon than interference, that's like effectively blocking the card's cooling mechanism.

Sep 4, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 10
It will fit, and it won't block any of the airflow of the GFX card because the intake fan is on the very end.  On the otherhand, as laxsar has said, the Auzentech X-Fi Forte is a PCI-E interface, and you need a PCI.  You also have a PCI-E slot open in between your 2 GFX cards that you can use.  Asus Xonar Essence STX is a great card for what it does.

Sep 4, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 10
Hmmm...the X-Fi Forte would only fit sandwiched between those cards, which would limit intake from the top card, but not as much as a full-height card.

What you could do is swap the positions of those graphics cards, such that the one with its fan in the middle of the card's length is now at the bottom. Then the Forte might not block as much airflow on the reference HSF's fan.

If you have to use the PCI slot on the bottom, it might be worth hunting down a used Auzentech X-Fi Prelude and getting a dedicated headphone amp if you need one.

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
Isn't the X-Fi Forte PCI-E, looks like a PCI slot in the second and third pics. So you would be slotting it in between your Xfired Radeons, sandwich style. 

Oops 
blink.gif
 ! That's right ! Sorry for that, I saw some open space here and thougt "Oh! this would be great here!" and just forgot about the connectivity... 
tongue.gif

Here is the naked motherboard by the way :

The first PCI-E slot would be great but it's not gona fit because of the southbridge (or is it the north one, dunno 
ph34r.gif
)

Quote:
What you could do is swap the positions of those graphics cards, such that the one with its fan in the middle of the card's length is now at the bottom. Then the Forte might not block as much airflow on the reference HSF's fan.

I was indeed thinking about that, the top one has the "classic" AMD cooler with the fan at the end of the card, and the bottom one is the Xtreme version with the fan in the middle. So swapping the two cards should keep a descent airflow.

Quote:
Asus Xonar Essence STX is a great card for what it does.

Thanks for the advice, but regarding my hardware & activities, I figured out this card would be great. In fact, I really hesitated with the Xonar Xense (which is very close from the Essence) but the problem is it is bundled with a Sennheiser PC350 which is great for games & movies but a bit limited for music.
What I need is a very polyvalent card, with a headphone amp (for an AKG K272 HD), and analogical 5.1 output for my set of speakers. And the Forte has that ! The Essence STX seems to be wonderful from what I rode in reviews but lacks the anological 5.1/7.1 output and is fully dedicated to music.

Thank you all for your help!

Sep 5, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #6 of 10
If you're still worried about EMI, I read about a thread in here about X-Fi hotrodding of some sorts. What piqued my interest was these ERS Paper, old news probably but might be a cost effective solution if ever you encounter interference.

"A simple demonstration of the potential effectiveness of ers is to lay it near any digital circuitry, for example, on top or underneath or at the sides of a cd player or dac or digital amplifier. Wrapping AC cables or placing ers near any AC power strips will also quickly show its potential. However, its effectiveness will be maximized when placed internally near either EMI/RFI generating or EMI/RFI susceptible circuitry within the enclosure. The enclosure itself, traps on board generated EMI and RFI which ers absorbs, deflects and diffuses. ers does not operate under the same principles as a shield thus it does not require grounding.
The amount of ers used is component dependent and must be experimented with. We have noticed that 100% coverage not necessary. Fine tuning may result in very little material required."

http://www.tweekgeek.com/_e/Stillpoints_ERS_More/product/ERS/Stillpoints_ERS_RFI_Killer.htm Googled around and saw this too.

Sep 6, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #8 of 10
As you can see the card fits quite good in here, there is no contact at all with the two graphic cards and after switching them, the fan of the top one is 85% clear.

For now I do not sense any interference, and I'm really enjoying my new sound !

Thanks again for your advices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back