Enjoying my new ER-4S's, but...
Jul 13, 2004 at 10:03 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT
Given that you have favored the MDR-V700DJ, I can understand completely why you don't like the etymotic line of earphones. Of course, your experience is that of a 'true' audiophile. I should bow to you for being so smart. I'd rather eat worms.

Easy, big fella! We're all here with a hand on the elephant.

Jul 13, 2004 at 10:23 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT
Given that you have favored the MDR-V700DJ, I can understand completely why you don't like the etymotic line of earphones. Of course, your experience is that of a 'true' audiophile. I should bow to you for being so smart. I'd rather eat worms.

Got out of the wrong side of bed, did we?
evil_smiley.gif

I'm not sure when I favoured the 700. I don't think it's as bad as it's made out to be, and out of the iPod it can sound surprisingly agreeable... but the only reason I'm using the 700 at this time is that among other things I'm being paid to make use of them. That and the HD25-1 is away for repairs. So you just pontificate there with your Etys and I'll just buy more gear you'll have no chance of affording with what I got from this gig, OK?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Man, I'm evil.

Jul 13, 2004 at 10:52 PM Post #18 of 23
We do have a bit more output in the 12-16kHz range than we desire, but it was a sacrifice in order to have a useable headphone.

The ~3KHz "hump" is due to how an insert earphone works, and is tested compared to a normal headphone. When an insert phone is inserted into the ear you lose your ear canal resonance, and you need to reproduce it. The "hump" in the response is the reproduction of the ear canal resonance. It is based on years of research in the hearing field on the average ear. That said, everyone will have a slightly different resonance, which might acount for some differences. I have measured ER-4's with custom earmolds that have a long tube between the end of the ER-4 and the end of the earmold. These can have a 5-10dB peak in the 7kHz range. I will have to think of how you could misuse the normal eartips and cause a peak in the 7kHz range.

Everyone has different tastes and we need to respect that. How else can you explain the Koss pro4AA (with its boosted lows and highs) being the largest selling headphone in the 70's?

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

Jul 13, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by d_wilson
We do have a bit more output in the 12-16kHz range than we desire, but it was a sacrifice in order to have a useable headphone.

What would you have had to compromise in order to reduce that 12-16kHz output? Just curious. I love it when designers tell us of the thinking that went into their products - it can be fascinating.

Thanks,

Spanky
etysmile.gif

Jul 14, 2004 at 12:14 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Everyone has different tastes and we need to respect that. How else can you explain the Koss pro4AA (with its boosted lows and highs) being the largest selling headphone in the 70's?

all the cheap coke and pot around at the time?
wink.gif

i am currently enjoying your product very much, thanks!

Jul 14, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #21 of 23
I'm still waiting/wanting to hear Bangraman's phone choice that provides audiophile detail.

Jul 14, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #22 of 23
I don't know about the sound of the er4s, but I do know about the er6 and er4p. As far as my opinion goes, I prefer the er-6's sound, but the er4p fits me better and cancels more sound. If you want to spend some cash, you should buy both, and the one you dont like, you should send back. Just an opinion, hope it helps.

Jul 14, 2004 at 4:12 AM Post #23 of 23
7khz was a guestimate from when I had the 4s a while back. The ssss sounds from singers were emphasized and caused the cans to be sibilant. I could be wrong, but I thought that a FR bump at around 7khz would cause that. Perhaps it was 5khz instead. I did notice that when I shortened one of the foamies, that the ssss sound was no longer emphasized, but that ssshhhh sounds then became more prominent. But the main point is that it definitely was there, and is what led me to sell the 4s eventually. And the lack of power in the bass that I got from them compared to my Sennheiser HD600's or Beyer DT250-250's. But the real killer was the sibilance, I am especially sensitive to it, and it drives me crazy over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back