Enjoying my headphone journey so far... but what's next?
Jun 7, 2021 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

canarioaleman

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

it all started with the vague idea of upgrading my every day headphones (Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless) and now I have a pair of Dan Clark Aeon RT, Topping A50s and a Topping E30 and since a few days the HiFiMan Sundara.

I'm not using Spotify anymore, don't like MQA and I set up my Equalizer Apo according to the recommendations of Amir.

I ordered Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pros but sent them back because to me there was no significant "improvement" over the Aeons but kept the Sundaras.
Most of the "famous" YouTubers were all pretty accurate in describing the sound profile of the Sundaras and while being planar magnetic, like the Aeons, the open profile of the Sundaras give me something the Aeons are lacking.

But I honestly don't know what to try next?!

When I first listened to the Aeon Flow at an audio store close to me (on a Hugo Chord 2) that was a real revelation, both in terms of comfort and audio quality and I'm asking if I can still make that much of a huge jump from the Aeons/Sundaras?

I listen to an absurd mix of rnb, hip hop, metal (Slayer, Children of Bodom, Bloodbath), stoner rock (Monolord, Sleep, The Swod), but sometimes also pop and classic, jazzy stuff like Dave Brubeck, Chilly Gonzalez, Erykah Badu or even Dire Straits, Phil Collins, Genesis, ... everything that sounds good!

I considered buying a Audeze LCD-2C or Focal Elex (Drop), but I'm open to try any brand / model as long as it's not too neutral and comes also with a decent amount of fun... I like a good punchy bass that goes down deep.

I would appreciate your input / inspiration on what to try next! Thanks a lot

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #3 of 16
Don't think Focal is your thing if you're in to bass. If anything they tend to be neutral-bright.

You've already got fairly good headphones so nothing is going to be "night and day" better at this point, but there's still certainly room for improvement. The next step up is going to be more costly though, and it's up to you where you feel the price no longer justifies the performance.

DCA Ether series would be the next step from the Aeon. I doubt you'll see /much/ difference with the LCD-2C, though you may prefer Audize's stock tuning vs. DCA. Keep in mind Audize headphones are fairly heavy.

Your next headphone may be a high end closed back dynamic like the Fostex TH-900 / Denon AH-D7200 / 9200 if you want more "natural" bass than the Aeon and Sundara.

Alternately as Zomkung said, look in to electrostats. That's a whole other world. The Koss ESP/95X is probably the easiest way in, there, though I suspect they will not have the bass you're looking for without EQ.

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #4 of 16
You have speakers?

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #5 of 16
@m-i-c-k-e-y Yes, actually I do have speakers, but I live in a rental apartment in an old building and I have neighbors :frowning2:

I have the Bowers & Wilkins 6Series with the big front speakers and the ASW 610 sub with a Denon receiver, nothing too fancy yet. At some point I'm thinking about getting something like Wharfedale Linton Heritage and a proper amp.

@silent-circuit Thanks a lot for your comment! I was looking at Fostex as well but will try to get my hands on a pair of TH-900.

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #7 of 16
@m-i-c-k-e-y Yes, actually I do have speakers, but I live in a rental apartment in an old building and I have neighbors :frowning2:

I have the Bowers & Wilkins 6Series with the big front speakers and the ASW 610 sub with a Denon receiver, nothing too fancy yet. At some point I'm thinking about getting something like Wharfedale Linton Heritage and a proper amp.

@silent-circuit Thanks a lot for your comment! I was looking at Fostex as well but will try to get my hands on a pair of TH-900.
There's a pair of Denon AH-D7200 in the classifieds here for $650. That's a /little/ high but not unreasonable - I paid $600 (used) for mine and would never sell them. They're often described as "more refined" Fostex. Easy to drive, a little bit of bass boost without getting boomy, slightly laid back treble but plenty of detail.

Alternately there's the Hyland Audio Jupiter One, a 400 GBP + shipping / imports open back built by one man in a shed in the proudest British tradition. (TM) Similar sound signature, maybe a little less bass and more mid / high detail. Easily my lightest / most comfortable full size headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #8 of 16
It sounds like the ZMF Atticus may be right up your alley. It's definitely a fun, bassy set. Heck, you can't go wrong with anything ZMF, really.

Jun 8, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #10 of 16
If I have multiple HPs already...

I may go in looking to other things in the chain of my system how to better it. Might be in my source / amplication.
Or maybe power conditioning if I haven't those yet.

Just to say there are other things other than HPs. Just thoughts...

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #11 of 16
Hi all,

it all started with the vague idea of upgrading my every day headphones (Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless) and now I have a pair of Dan Clark Aeon RT, Topping A50s and a Topping E30 and since a few days the HiFiMan Sundara.

I'm not using Spotify anymore, don't like MQA and I set up my Equalizer Apo according to the recommendations of Amir.

I ordered Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pros but sent them back because to me there was no significant "improvement" over the Aeons but kept the Sundaras.
Most of the "famous" YouTubers were all pretty accurate in describing the sound profile of the Sundaras and while being planar magnetic, like the Aeons, the open profile of the Sundaras give me something the Aeons are lacking.

But I honestly don't know what to try next?!

When I first listened to the Aeon Flow at an audio store close to me (on a Hugo Chord 2) that was a real revelation, both in terms of comfort and audio quality and I'm asking if I can still make that much of a huge jump from the Aeons/Sundaras?

I listen to an absurd mix of rnb, hip hop, metal (Slayer, Children of Bodom, Bloodbath), stoner rock (Monolord, Sleep, The Swod), but sometimes also pop and classic, jazzy stuff like Dave Brubeck, Chilly Gonzalez, Erykah Badu or even Dire Straits, Phil Collins, Genesis, ... everything that sounds good!

I considered buying a Audeze LCD-2C or Focal Elex (Drop), but I'm open to try any brand / model as long as it's not too neutral and comes also with a decent amount of fun... I like a good punchy bass that goes down deep.

I would appreciate your input / inspiration on what to try next! Thanks a lot
You didn't mention what source you are using.
Since you already have quite nice headphones I'd make sure that your source is good enought to drive them and deliver the SQ that makes them sing.
You also mentioned the Chord Hugo 2 - it's a lot of money but it's also really good and versatile, from portable audio to stationary in a speaker setup.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #12 of 16
You didn't mention what source you are using.
Since you already have quite nice headphones I'd make sure that your source is good enought to drive them and deliver the SQ that makes them sing.
You also mentioned the Chord Hugo 2 - it's a lot of money but it's also really good and versatile, from portable audio to stationary in a speaker setup.

I used to just use Spotify but since I own the amp/dac I switched to Amazon Music HD, tried Tidal but then I watched the MQA video and cancelled my subscription.

Amazon has most of the stuff I listen to and even has the songs in FLAC 24 bit / 96 kHz.

I guess that's as good as it goes for streaming currently and I don't plan on establishing a offline collection of FLAC files, streaming is just too comfortable. I'm familiar with systems like Roon, but I find the user experience horrible to be frank. Had to use it in my dealer's show-room the other day and spent 5 minutes trying to find the search button/icon just to realize that the app somehow partially crashed and had to be restarted. No thanks :wink:

Jun 10, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #13 of 16
To help you better. Describe to us your Equipment/Device chain (things you use/turned on when you need to hear music).

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #14 of 16
Ok, got it.

Custom built Windows 10 Desktop PC (MSI MPG Z390, i5) β†’ USB β†’ Topping E30 β†’ RCA β†’ Topping A50s.

I currently got the stock cable for the Sundara but received my custom made balanced cable for the Dan Clark Aeon RT to finally get more power out of the Topping and oh boy, what a difference.

Gonna try my luck to build a balanced cable for the Sundaras as well.

Using Equalizer APO and applied the recommended settings by Amir, as stated already.

Am I missing something @m-i-c-k-e-y ?

Jun 15, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #15 of 16
Ok, got it.

Custom built Windows 10 Desktop PC (MSI MPG Z390, i5) β†’ USB β†’ Topping E30 β†’ RCA β†’ Topping A50s.

I currently got the stock cable for the Sundara but received my custom made balanced cable for the Dan Clark Aeon RT to finally get more power out of the Topping and oh boy, what a difference.

Gonna try my luck to build a balanced cable for the Sundaras as well.

Using Equalizer APO and applied the recommended settings by Amir, as stated already.

Am I missing something @m-i-c-k-e-y ?
Yes upgrade from the sundara's awful stock cable with a copper cable or something to warm up the sound. Or get adapters to allow you to use your balance Aeon cables with your Sundaras.

I also recommend the Hugo 2. You could find one used for 1400-1500 in the classifieds. It's very versatile and will satisfy your itch for a while until you end up upgrading. No balanced output there though.

Also agree that ZMF gear is great and has different price points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back