Enjoying K701, but need a new different brand open headphone
Dec 8, 2014 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nakedhand

100+ Head-Fier
I have been away from the headphone market for a couple of years and is looking for a new set of open cans.

Been craving something else lately. Something better than what I already have and something that can deliver the following characteristics:

- Soundstage
- Transparency
- resolution
- musicality (not a huge fan of analytical listening anymore)

Would like to avoid:
- hot highs - no sibilance after burn in
- bass-head material - overt bass emphasis

I listen to electronic music (mostly ambient), classical and jazz primarily.

Been looking at: (but dont know a whole lot about them yet)

Fidelio x2
HiFiMan HE400i (is QC better with their more expensive headphones?)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Amp: Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear

Budget $250-$500

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #2 of 7
I have not heard either of those two, but I'm interested in both. Some folks say the HiFiMan planars are little too bright. Some folks say the Philips X2 are little too strong at ~80 Hz, but still others say that helps compensate for the typically lower bass output of open headphones.

If it were me, between those two, I would get the Philips X2 - but I'm particularly adverse to brightness. I like tinkle, but if there is a sibilant S in there anywhere, then I'm out.

But, why aren't you considering the HD600 or HD650? That seems to be the elephant missing from the room... :)

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 7
I have not heard either of those two, but I'm interested in both. Some folks say the HiFiMan planars are little too bright. Some folks say the Philips X2 are little too strong at ~80 Hz, but still others say that helps compensate for the typically lower bass output of open headphones.

If it were me, between those two, I would get the Philips X2 - but I'm particularly adverse to brightness. I like tinkle, but if there is a sibilant S in there anywhere, then I'm out.

But, why aren't you considering the HD600 or HD650? That seems to be the elephant missing from the room...
smily_headphones1.gif

You are right. Why not the HD600? Well I have never heard them on my amplifier, or another decent amp for that matter. And what I heard when I did hear them, was not very musical sounding to me. A little clinical and dead. I think I might have a slight dislike to the Sennheiser audio signature despite owning a couple of rather nice cans of theirs. I am going to ask a friend to bring them over tomorrow, they deserve an amp!

I was reading HE400i reviews here and did see the notes on brightness. I have the same allergy. Sibilance is not welcome in my house. My K701 were unbearable in this regard before hundreds of hours of burn in and a proper amp.

Dec 8, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 7
You sound like a HD 650 guy.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HD650

Your internal dilemma is to achieve musicality without much treble.

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 7
  You sound like a HD 650 guy.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HD650

Your internal dilemma is to achieve musicality without much treble.

Thanks for the link!

I will certainly find out tomorrow as a friend of mine is bringing over the HD650, thought he had HD600. Really looking forward to hearing them on my own setup.

Dec 9, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #6 of 7
I agree with what's already been mentioned. The HD650 might be the way to go.

I wanted to add - I haven't heard the HE400i but I own the HE400 and have heard several other of the Hifiman offerings. The HE400 has a sizzly peak in the highs that I've somewhat been able to relax with tube rolling but outside of the HE6 I've heard a variation of that sizzle is just about all of their headphones. If you're trying to avoid hot highs and not willing to experiment with equipment or EQ I would probably stay away.

Dec 10, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #7 of 7
  I agree with what's already been mentioned. The HD650 might be the way to go.

I wanted to add - I haven't heard the HE400i but I own the HE400 and have heard several other of the Hifiman offerings. The HE400 has a sizzly peak in the highs that I've somewhat been able to relax with tube rolling but outside of the HE6 I've heard a variation of that sizzle is just about all of their headphones. If you're trying to avoid hot highs and not willing to experiment with equipment or EQ I would probably stay away.

The HD650 sure is a good all rounder! I did not have very much time with them, but enough to notice that there was no "synthetic granularity" as my HD565 Ovation has.

Not a piano aficionado head phone, at least not with my amp or my taste in piano sound. Also brass seemed to miss some of its brilliance and forwardness, again could be a synergy thing. But in both cases something I enjoy a lot with K701 and K501.

They are quite fast and more transparent over all. Very soothing and easy on the ears on my amp. The bottom end is fun and bubbly warm. Great for rock and much electronic music. I wont be my classical music headphone, and it wont dominate my jazz listening either. But it will certainly fill out a void in my selection and be my best headphone at certain things. I wish the sound stage was bigger though. Didn't really have time, but I think percussion should do real well on the HD650s as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back