Enhanced Digital Output app - USB Dac and 192k Digital Ouput: for Squeezebox Touch
Apr 29, 2012 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dcginc

100+ Head-Fier
Interesting thread on how to get higher outputs from Sqeezebox touch

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?94512-Announce-Enhanced-Digital-Output-app-USB-Dac-and-192k-Digital-Ouput

Apr 29, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 4
here's where i orginally read the thread. more comments on this found on the thread as well.

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/#/discussion/3654/new-squeezebox-app-makes-pwd-dac-ii-rock

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 4
We've discussed it in the official touch thread maybe 12 threads down...

Jun 23, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #4 of 4
This fom Positive Feedback May/June 2012 issue. Question where is the decoding change made that is referred to below? The touch or server software on my Mac pc?

The final piece of the puzzle in Squeezebox Touch experimentation and tweaks for me was changing the location of where my FLAC files are decoded from the Touch itself, to the server, that is, my Mac Mini. The theory behind this is that the computer has way more processing power than the Touch, and relieves the Touch of having to this critical step of unpacking the codec. I have resisted doing this until now as a fully decoded file sent through your network is a much larger and more taxing on the resources of the network.

After changing the settings to server decoding, I heard a clear improvement in dimensionality, and overall more organic sound. There was not a single dropout or hitch. The only roadblock I hit was when I tried to play back 176.4 or 192kHz files. They played at about 10% of the correct playback speed. Switching the settings back to having the Touch unpack the FLAC files allowed for correct playback—so for 90% of my music collection, having the computer decode the files will be my permanent setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back