"Enhanced CD": can I rip with EAC or iTunes?
Dec 3, 2005 at 3:18 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mshan
I read somewhere that the "enhanced" label to a cd means it is copy protected.

Is this true, or can I rip an enhanced cd with EAC or iTunes (Apple Lossless).

Cd in question is Star Wars o.s.t.:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

Ehanced cds generaly have a part of the CD reserved for data. This stores videos pictures etc that can be accessed with a PC. You should not have any problem with a cd just because it is 'enhanced'.

Dec 3, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #4 of 9
I just ripped a load of enhanced CD's. They were by The Police -- basically they have multimedia (a video and some url links) stuff on them as well as the tracks.
No problem ripping with either EAC and J River Media Center --where I just selected the music trancks to be ripped.
"enhanced" is not to be confused with EMI's "copy controlled" or Sony's virus-like thing, both of which are a huge pain in the rear.

Dec 3, 2005 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 9
Just make sure what you are ripping is the actual CD audio. I ripped a Enhanced CD a little bit ago and something just did not seem right. The "original" CD audio my computer was seeing was actually WMA files I think. I started CD-EX and it found the actual CD audio.

Dec 3, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 9
Just turn off autorun if you are worried about the rootkit.

Dec 3, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #7 of 9
Can anyone definitively confirm that this "enhanced cd" doesn't have that horrendous Sony rootkit that creates so many problems when played on cd (I eventually want to switch over to an Apple based music server system, so I am particularly concerned becauses google searches revealed some nasty problems with Sony copy protected cds in the past)?

Dec 3, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 9
Amazon at the request of Sony has pulled all of the XCP discs that had the rootkits. The normal enchanced discs do not have the XCP and Amazon labels the ones which do have it. Search Amazon Popular Music for XCP and you will see how they label them.
EAC will even extract from XCP discs without a problem when used to open and close the CD drive. It is also good to disable CD autorun so it will not install the rootkit if the CD is accidently left in the drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back