Engraving One-Off Circuits a No-Go
Apr 5, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by morsel
DIY computer-controlled laser etching station: VersaLaser

Holy sh**.

If I only had $10K just lying around.......
tongue.gif

Is there a place like FPE that does laser etching? I've never liked the engraved graphics and lettering.

-Ed

Apr 5, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by setmenu
Perhaps this is worht a try, it is small, rotary and goes to 17000 rpm and is cheap.

http://www.minicrafttools.com/engraver.html

Scroll on that very link, there's a $47 Proxxon rotary engraving tool that includes affordable diamond bits, better specs. I like my Proxxon drill press; this engraver may be a winner!

Apr 5, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #18 of 22
I had a friend who many years ago used to make PCBs with a Dremel Rotary Tool. Nothing complicated, just 3-4 transistor audio amps and suchlike. They looked really good though! He was an artist and used to do a lot of Ice, Fruit and Vegetable carvings when he was not doing other statuary or paintings. I guess an Art background helps, a little like Sijosae's work where attention to symmetry yields eye as well as ear candy.

Apr 5, 2005 at 2:57 AM Post #19 of 22
So now it's a go-go, right?

I'm waiting for you to develop a tiny Proxxon-based CNC router. I believe Tom Gootee made a similar rig for drilling his boards. You have to be a hardcore tinker to do that, imo.

Apr 6, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #20 of 22
I needed to do a mock up, to see if engraving made sense using the Proxxon engraver (above) and its 1mm spherical diamond head for lines.

This is the next one-off board I want to build and test (for a current mirror charger), on a 0.1" grid for holes. Each hole is 0.8mm. I'm guessing that with practice I'll be able to etch 0.8mm lines using the 1mm head. If so, this is what the board bottom would look like:

Engraving3.jpg

If the grooves come out fatter, scaling the board up accordingly will work for all but IC sockets, and other parts on a fixed tight spacing. (There are none in this design.) For 0.05" surface mount work I'll etch.

Apr 6, 2005 at 7:38 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syzygies
Scroll on that very link, there's a $47 Proxxon rotary engraving tool that includes affordable diamond bits, better specs. I like my Proxxon drill press; this engraver may be a winner!

Here is something a little more sophisticated:
wink.gif

http://www.sherline.com/8540pg.htm

If you have need of a miniature CNC milling machine, this could be just the ticket!
I have used Shirline miniature machine tools and they are of good quality.
biggrin.gif

Setmenu

Apr 6, 2005 at 11:37 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by morsel
DIY computer-controlled laser etching station: VersaLaser

Quote:

Dear Dave,

Thank you for contacting us! Unfortunately, the VersaLaser is not capable of etching or engraving into metal and will not be compatible in performing your application needs.

Best Regards,
Universal Laser Systems Inc.

Alas! I didn't have the money, in any case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back