English stuff
Sep 24, 2001 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Odin

100+ Head-Fier
I'm working on this English presentation about parallelism, it has to be at least 10 minutes and it has to be "memorable". So can anyone help me on how I'm gonna present it and what can I say?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2001 at 7:14 PM Post #2 of 13
By English, do you mean literature? If so, what genre(s), if specified? Parallelism between what things (history and lit, art and lit, art and history, etc.)? I was an English major and the word parallelism was thrown around a lot, but never defined.

Sep 24, 2001 at 7:30 PM Post #3 of 13
Or are you talking about parallelism in sentence structure? If so, a quick search on Google should turn up some "memorable" speeches that contain examples of parallelism.

Sep 25, 2001 at 12:30 AM Post #4 of 13
Well, I'm just 16 so.....you get the idea, just sentence structure stuff, but how can I make it 10 minutes though, and it has to be different, entertaining and people won't forget in years........

Sep 25, 2001 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Odin
it has to be different, entertaining and people won't forget in years........

Well, you can allways wear a gorilla suit, that would make unforgetable
biggrin.gif
. Now, for real, correct me if I am wrong, but isn't paralelism a form of oriental poetry in wich the second verse corresponds, contradicts or complements the first verse, like in hebrew poetry? Or it has a totally different meaning in English?

Sep 25, 2001 at 2:15 AM Post #6 of 13
different.

parallelism is hmmmm........ Martin Luther King's I have a dream speak is a good example..... repeating the pattern of I have a dream, but with different ending.

Sep 25, 2001 at 3:34 AM Post #7 of 13
NO!!!
mad.gif
, Something memorable, not idiotic ok? Now I'm just talking about the simple, sentence structure parallelism which is a usual grammar error. I don't really have problems with the knowledge part, but I need ideas for the memorable part.
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2001 at 3:41 AM Post #8 of 13
On the topic of MLK, Jr., why not make a presentation of explaining what a parallelism is and then showing how bad Dr. King's famous speech would have been had he used too much of the "incorrect" kind of parallelism?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2001 at 4:35 AM Post #9 of 13
Ask your friends if you can borrow their old English papers. Proceed to find bad examples of sentence structure where parallelism would've helped. Use liberally in your presentation. Works best if said friends are in the same class. I guarantee they won't fall asleep if they're being joked!
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 25, 2001 at 5:17 AM Post #10 of 13
I'm not sure the MLK speech applies, since he repeats one word group, and parallelism involves adjacent word groups either complementary or antithetical for rhetorical effect. In that sense, the MLK speech is actually quite literal and declarative.

In contemporary terms, you might explore how lyrics bend pronunciation to make the rhyme (not quite parallelism, but it's at least consistent bunching of modified words playing off each other), how hip-hop lyrics use repetitive structure to reinforce but change meaning as the song progresses (which is parallel in cases where artists use the cadence and/or structure of everyday sayings or slogans - the Wu-Tang Clan is a good example), or, and I'm not joking here, how the way Yoda speaks makes him seems wiser through the consistent disruption of normal word structure (parallelism in the sense that the way he groups words and/or juxtaposes them is for rhythmic and connotative effect). Gil Scott Heron uses parallelism, as do many spoken word poets, though most are on the revolutionary track (e.g. The Revolution Will Not Be Televised is parallel in structure in its rhetoric by grouping the phrases "the revolution will" and "the revolution will not" with the phrases that follow).

Sep 25, 2001 at 5:17 AM Post #11 of 13
Alright here ya go.

Take a ruler and a piece of chalk stand in front of the class and say "parallelism". Turn to the board, lay the ruler on it very matter of fact and proceed to draw a line on each side of the ruler. Admire your work for a moment then turn to the class and say "This concludes my report on parallelism". Wait respectfully for applause then return to your seat as if you had just won the pullitzer prize. No one will ever forget it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back