Engima Audio Oracle AD2000s
Sep 16, 2007 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

NoPants

1000+ Head-Fier
grandenigma1 just sent me pics of the job he did on my AD2000s, so I thought I'd share some of his work since I don't see much of it out here these days:

IMG_2567.jpg

IMG_2566.jpg

The pics were sent to me earlier, but I have to wait for the phones to be shipped on monday and then even more for transit time
frown.gif

I splurged slightly for those vampire xlr's but I don't feel bad because I almost thought about getting furutech connectors. I had a lot of trouble between AKZips and Zach's jobs, but I figured I'd do my little part to further the community and get more love of a different flavor for the AD2000s. As of right now I only have single-ended equipment, but I'm trying to put together a balanced setup with a pandora DAC as the source...anyone with thoughts on what should go between the DAC and the headphones?

Sep 16, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #2 of 9
Several balanced amps to choose from now, all seem to be highly rated. Pick your poison?
wink.gif
The HeadAmp GS-X is extremely transparent and the culmination of solid-state's speed and resolution if that sounds like something you want.

Out of curiosity, what material is in the Oracle?

Sep 16, 2007 at 9:42 AM Post #3 of 9
I have a W5000 with an Oracle balanced cable and it sounds very good single-ended, using an adapter.

I've ordered three sets of Oracle balanced cables to be installed on the AD2000, L3000 and SA5000.

I think the Vampire XLR plugs were also recommended to me for the AD2000, so we might end up having identical AD2000 headphones.

Sep 16, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #4 of 9
I think all zach specified was "stranded" and "silver alloy" for what that's worth

Even though it's sunday i keep refreshing my email to see if he's shipped them off yet hahaha

As of right now I'm still using a ps audio gcha to run them

I also bought a pair of w2002 pads via fs, so I'll see how that works out for me soundwise. Since you have a pair of w5000s, can you compare the padding? Basically I'm looking for an alternative to foam padding mods because when i've done them it seems to create a very good seal which leads to very boomy bass...

Sep 20, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 9
They just came back today, if only I got a package for everytime I woke up late for one class and came late to another...

Superficial things first: Zach has been great as far as customer service was concerned, keeping me informed of the situation up until providing those great pictures. I would take some myself, but my room is full of dirty and mess so we'll leave that for another time. The box came back to me packed with more material than when I sent it, he even wrapped the w5000 case in plastic for me. The job is incredibly well done, the solder joints look a *little* cold, but they're very clean and covered in some sort of insulation material to keep them from shorting I guess. The cable feels very professional, I really like the nylon (?) fiber sheathing. One nitpick I might have (because I don't really know better) is that the xlr terminations are not heatshrinked, so the wires wiggle quite a bit inside the casing, I guess xlr's were designed for thicker wires it seems. However this is relatively minor in the larger view of things. The furutech plug looks like it could withstand nuclear fallout...

As I mentioned before, still doing single ended off a gcha. The first thing I noticed is that bass impact is pretty monstrous now, as is high frequency. The treble is close to overpowering, but I'm banking on having it calm down as I run it through the regular tracks. The bass is incredibly refined after coming from the 900LTD, extension is about the same but it's very controlled. I'm not going to make sweeping claims about my memory of the stock configuration, to put things in perspective. I mean I do remember but it's just as easy to take this as a straight review rather than a comparison, right?

Clarity is amazing, after listening to the 900LTD (only) for so long, I realized that it smears treble a bit, making cymbals sound sloppy. The AD2000s in this respect are squeaky clean, it really adds character to acoustic guitar when I can hear the contact of the strings. In a similar fashion, complex passages are rendered effortlessly, allowing me to concentrate on each individual voicing. On that note, space in pretty incredible as well, a characteristic of the stock configuration taken to another level. Across the entire frequency range I get an enormous feeling of spaciousness and air as I listen to dvorak's new world symphony and smetana's moldau. This sense of space and air may have something to do with the presence of transient decay, which seems to last forever. The soundstage extends to the sides much farther than the front and back, however there definitely is more of an emphasis on music being placed "behind" me. I think this is something I have experienced with the k701 as well.

One other thing I noticed is that it's not too forgiving on badly encoded songs, my ears start to ring after a minute or so when I start up some of my older mp3s.

As of right now I'm incredibly satisfied and I feel like I've got a new pair of headphones. Hopefully this will make more of zach's jobs appear here on headfi. Now I just have to get myself a Storm Pandora and I'll be 2/3 of the way there.

Actually that brings up one of my questions, does anyone have any thoughts on NOS DACs with respect to the high frequencies? As I currently understand it, the high frequencies should get slightly folded over due to the use of "softer" filters, which would pair well with these headphones. Alternatively, would tube amplfiers be a better choice for taking a bit of the edge off?

Hope you had a good read and thanks for any input!

Sep 21, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #7 of 9
I noticed that I hae to turn the volume up a bit higher to get the same loudness as before, is this due to the silver wire? is there a diffrence in resistance?

Sep 25, 2007 at 11:50 AM Post #9 of 9
would it be out of line to use two mid-tier amplifiers as monoblocks? This idea has been bugging me ever since I dropped the ball on buying those darkvoice monoblocks, and in some ways they seem more cost-effective than buying a balanced amplifier, which pretty much start off at the 800 mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back