Energy RC30s (refurbed) $400 pair at AudioAdvisor HOLY CRAP
Jun 13, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #46 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replies so far.

Another question, has anyone here heard the HK 3480?. It also comes highly recommended, and has the advantage that it has a pre-out for an easy upgrade path.

It's also 120W/channel vs. the XR55's 80W (what it actually measures according to the AVS thread), however I really do not know if this difference is meaningful
frown.gif
Is the efficiency rating of speakers just dB/w/m, or is it more complex?

If you can use a power amp now just get a behringer A500, this i think is the ultimate value in terms of amps.

Then later you can get a receiver.

If you must have a receiver now then yes get the HK3480, its a GREAT stereo receiver.

The only problem is the behringer A500 will stay with you as you upgrade receivers, so if you are going to get a 5.1 setup eventually, i say get the A500 now, then save up for the cheapest receiver with pre-outs. Super cheap receivers with pre-outs are largely cheap because their integrated amps suck, but if you have a power amp it doesnt matter.

Jun 14, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #48 of 73
Thanks for the advice Gotcha.

Right now I'm debating between (several) power amps, or the Panasonic 57. I really could use a receiver, and the Panasonic listens well compared to a huge number of non-digital amps way out if its pricerange from what I've seen, though admittedly not as good as some $200 power amps.

Really I think it depends if I can find another $300 or so for a sub. Then the question is if I want to buy the panny and the sub or if I want to put it into a receiver that has a clear upgrade path (though admittedly I don't like any of the future proof recievers right now).

Oh god I caught upgradeitis again.

Jun 14, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #50 of 73
Quote:

Thanks for the advice Gotcha.

Right now I'm debating between (several) power amps, or the Panasonic 57. I really could use a receiver, and the Panasonic listens well compared to a huge number of non-digital amps way out if its pricerange from what I've seen, though admittedly not as good as some $200 power amps.

Really I think it depends if I can find another $300 or so for a sub. Then the question is if I want to buy the panny and the sub or if I want to put it into a receiver that has a clear upgrade path (though admittedly I don't like any of the future proof recievers right now).

Oh god I caught upgradeitis again.

what's your primary use, music or movies? even with small floorstanders, i don't think a sub is absolutely necessary, especially if you're in a smallish room. the waves below 40Hz get pretty long and can really muck up the sound in a small room if it's not well-treated.

the in-room low-end on my floorstanders is about 36-38Hz, and if it went any lower, i know i'd get a mushy rumble... i don't feel like i'm missing anything, even with movies.

also, if you're planning on eventually going for a surround setup, keep in mind that you'll want to stay within the Energy RC line... especially for the center speaker. so you can't cheap out that way.

Jun 14, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #51 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what's your primary use, music or movies? even with small floorstanders, i don't think a sub is absolutely necessary, especially if you're in a smallish room. the waves below 40Hz get pretty long and can really muck up the sound in a small room if it's not well-treated.

the in-room low-end on my floorstanders is about 36-38Hz, and if it went any lower, i know i'd get a mushy rumble... i don't feel like i'm missing anything, even with movies.

also, if you're planning on eventually going for a surround setup, keep in mind that you'll want to stay within the Energy RC line... especially for the center speaker. so you can't cheap out that way.

It's really hard to nail down a primary use, my living room system gets a ton of work and I've really neglected it too long. I'd say 20% movies, 60% audio, and 20% gaming.

The room is sort of odd. It's your standard house-converted-to-shared-living dwelling, but the living room is odd in that right behind it is a long hallway that connects to every other dwelling, and seems to act as an audio trap. So half the room has dimensions probably close to 12' by 15', and the other have 12' by 30-40'. What this will do with a sub is really something I think I'm going to have to find out the hard way.

If I was going to step up to a full surround system I was thinking I was pretty much committed to the Energy RC line for the center, but I was hoping to get away with something cheaper for the sats. Maybe something out of the C series to keep the sonic signature similar.

I can get either the HK3480 or the XR-55 for $125 used at this point, so I think I'll just save the extra money for now. Really at that price I'm tempted to get both and sell the one I don't like but considering this thread and the HD600's sitting on my desk I have a feeling I know how that is going to go.

plainface.gif
plainface.gif
plainface.gif
600smile.gif
redface.gif

Jun 14, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #52 of 73
well no speakers for me
frown.gif
I just spent $100 to get a new cartridge installed on my turntable. If they still have them in a week and a half when I get my next paycheck, I'll probably get them then.

Jun 18, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #54 of 73
Quote:

Wallet Damage : $430

man, it's $480 for me in CA; trying to decide between this, or i'm going to look at some used c-9's on wednesday; price will probably be about $360

thoughts?

eh, i just don't think i can spend 480............grumble grumble
smily_headphones1.gif

i'm amazed these haven't sold out yet; they must have gotten a big batch; what do y'all think they are? seconds? cosmetic defects? returns? it has to be something; i'm guessing just straight-up return and repair, which imho can be the best refurb sometimes

Jun 18, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #55 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
man, it's $480 for me in CA; trying to decide between this, or i'm going to look at some used c-9's on wednesday; price will probably be about $360

thoughts?

eh, i just don't think i can spend 480............grumble grumble
smily_headphones1.gif

If you're like most of the head-fi crew (myself included), even if the C9's are 97% of the R30's you will regret it.

Jun 18, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #57 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please explain the 95%. Are you talking price, SQ or something else
confused.gif

Really any metric you choose, except for price. You'd have a constant reminder in front of you that for a little more, you could have had better.

It's a curse, and probalby the source of upgraditis.

Jun 19, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #59 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

thoughts?

Someone's selling their C-9s for only $360?!?! I got mine for $600 and that was a steal.

I say go for it.

Jun 19, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #60 of 73
Quote:

If you're like most of the head-fi crew (myself included), even if the C9's are 97% of the R30's you will regret it.

sorry, i'm not that dedicated or insane
wink.gif
i've failed you all
frown.gif

and actually they're selling the c9's and a the corresponding center channel for $450, but i just want the c9's, have no desire to do surround sound, it's only for music, and that is what i'm estimate i can swing them for; i'm hoping for less; i made a thread about it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back