Energy C-3 and amp
Apr 17, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #16 of 26
I have an VSX-815, and it's a good cheap receiver, but stay away from the MCACC Auto EQ, it really can make a mess of things. Pioneer's version of Auto EQ needs some work.

I just keep the EQ as flat as possible and make sure the speakers are properly placed.

If you decide to buy a sub, you could probably set the crossover on the 815 at 50Hz, as the response of the C-3's is pretty solid down to 40-45hz. The 815 only allows 50 and 80Hz for the lower crossover points, but 50Hz should work.

Apr 18, 2006 at 7:32 AM Post #17 of 26
Warpdriver,

You are now my official "go-to" guy for all my head-fi questions... haha... Even better, you are also a Canadian, so you can relate to some of my issues. The only negative being that you are in Ontario... British Columbians aren't too found of you guys... well... we probably hate Albertans more... jk! Take care.

Apr 18, 2006 at 1:53 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by RageX
Did you buy the speaker locally?
I find it hard to get equipment in vancouver, only place i saw C3 was at absound and it was going for 400-500 dont remember

C-3 is discontinued so you should be able to get it for $300 CAD. Here's one place that will ship. You might be able to get the price lower if you phone them http://www.audioshop.on.ca/energy.htm

Apr 18, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #20 of 26
RageX,

I got my speakers at A&B sound last week. They were on sale for CAD $276 . If they still have some in stock, you might still be able to get that price. Hope that helps.

Art

Apr 18, 2006 at 9:32 PM Post #21 of 26
I got mine on audiogon for ~240 shipped total (USD), so far they sound pretty good out of a t-amp and only a few feet away from my head on my desk, but I'd like to try some better amps.
tongue.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #22 of 26
I find them to be grado sounding... forward and bright... How do you guys find it?

Apr 18, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by smooth_boarder
I find them to be grado sounding... forward and bright... How do you guys find it?

Burn-in for about 100 hours at moderate and then report back. They should sound pretty even after you do so. To me, they sound more like my AKG's than Grado

Apr 19, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #24 of 26
I heard that Energy has factory burn-in.... but I might be mistaken... anyone else heard this as well?

Apr 19, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #25 of 26
Another question...

Can you hear the power supply humming on the 815 when the music isn't playing? Mine is doing that for some reason... not sure if it's normal. Thanks.

Apr 19, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #26 of 26
Energy recommends 50 hours burn-in in the manuals. I think it's closer to 100 based on my experience with it.

Do you have your speakers near any reflective surfaces? The C-3 needs room to breath for it to sound neutral. Keep it away from side walls. However, it will always sound more forward than, say a Senn HD580.

The 815 I have is inside a cabinet, I didn't any humming, but I can probably check for you for sure later. Definitely nothing through the speakers. There is a loud fan that will turn on if you push it. One curious thing, the 815 does hiss more once you turn to -14 on the volume knob. It's running out of gain there so, I'd avoid turning it past that for any length of time.

Note: I do find the 815 a bit harsh at times, it's a decent cheap receiver but it's not as smooth as some more audiophile oriented brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back